My first chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

I got Chilly on Thanksgiving, and things have been going well.

Holding?

He seems to not like being held, which is understandable. Whenever I go to hold him, he will make a quiet squeak and run off. However, he circles back right away as if he's playing a game.

I'm not sure how to take it. Anyone know what this means? He seriously just comes back for more. I could do it all day and he'd just keep coming back.

What color is he?

I asked a few breeders and some guessed that he was a light ebony. His belly is slightly lighter than the rest of him but it is nowhere near white. I'll attach some pictures of him for you to see.

Treats?

What's something other than his food that I can give to him daily? I want to give him snacks to help bond with him, but I want to make sure it's alright for him. He has no interest in eating his pellets when I try to hand feed them to him, nor his hay. I've been giving him some oats occasionally as he seems to love them.

Would it be healthier to buy a less healthy brand of food and use the tidbits in there as a treat?

Is there any chin safe dye for the wood in their cage?

I adore the colors so I was just curious if there was a safe way to dye the wood. I know they're not recommended for them, so I thought I'd ask.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Treats?

What's something other than his food that I can give to him daily? I want to give him snacks to help bond with him, but I want to make sure it's alright for him. He has no interest in eating his pellets when I try to hand feed them to him, nor his hay. I've been giving him some oats occasionally as he seems to love them.

Would it be healthier to buy a less healthy brand of food and use the tidbits in there as a treat?

A daily treat I give my chin is a rose hip or rosebud. He loves them and knows when it's time for his treat and goes to the same shelf every day. Rosebuds/hips are healthy for them and they have vitamin c, which is good for chinnie immune systems. I also give him some green oat tops as treats too. He honestly loves those more than the rose things. And I don't feel bad for giving him some!

Some chin parents, myself included, give different types of wood as treats too. Right now for Stanley it's kiwi. Since it's not around all the time, I ordered a bunch for him, so I've been rationing it out to a few sticks a week.

Is there any chin safe dye for the wood in their cage?

I adore the colors so I was just curious if there was a safe way to dye the wood. I know they're not recommended for them, so I thought I'd ask.

I know some vendors just do something as simple as water and food coloring!

Hope that helps! Sorry I couldn't answer more. PS, don't forget to attach pictures of your little chin so others can help with trying to identify him! I'm still learning all the different mutations myself.

A daily treat I give my chin is a rose hip or rosebud. He loves them and knows when it's time for his treat and goes to the same shelf every day. Rosebuds/hips are healthy for them and they have vitamin c, which is good for chinnie immune systems. I also give him some green oat tops as treats too. He honestly loves those more than the rose things. And I don't feel bad for giving him some!

Some chin parents, myself included, give different types of wood as treats too. Right now for Stanley it's kiwi. Since it's not around all the time, I ordered a bunch for him, so I've been rationing it out to a few sticks a week.

I know some vendors just do something as simple as water and food coloring!

Hope that helps! Sorry I couldn't answer more. PS, don't forget to attach pictures of your little chin so others can help with trying to identify him! I'm still learning all the different mutations myself.

So only one rosehip/bud is recommended a day? I don't even know what green oat tops are o_O

I know mine really loves apple sticks so I have some of those. He likes willow too.

So water/food coloring is safe for them? If that's the case, I might try dyeing some of the stuff I have for him. :]

I posted pictures but the post needs to be accepted since I'm a new user. I don't know how long it will take for them, or this post to be accepted. XD

Most chins don't like to be held but they are pretty forgiving of handling. They may complain and they may dodge away from you but usually they still come looking for treats and attention. He's just talking with you that he wants to be around you but doesn't want caught.

There are rosehips, dried herbs, and dried flowers alone and in mixtures from the vendors (check the banners at the top of the page and the classifieds section) that can be given every day or at least often. Wood can be given every day unlimited. There are a lot of varieties around. You can also get some hays to use as treats. We get kmshayloft bluegrass for their main diet but also have organic clover from a local source and oxbow's oat and botanical hay. I give them a handful of something other than their bluegrass once a week and feed choice bits here and there through the week. They love the botanical hay. A few times a week you can give cheerios, oats, or other sugar free cereal like shredded wheat.

The treats in the "less healthy" feeds tend to be pretty sugary and junky, so I would advise against that. Like akane and ninjaturtletayy said, "old-fashioned" oats (not the instant stuff! That will expand in their stomach and potentially cause problems) and sugar free cereal are popular and safe treats, as are rosehips. If you're looking to give daily stuff for training and bonding, my guy loves apple twigs, little bits of loofah, and tiny single petals from chin-safe herb mixes. All are available from various vendors here on the forum! He'll come running if he hears me rummaging in his treat bin or the sound of tearing loofah, and I feel pretty good giving him more than one piece since it's such teensy chunks.

I don't think the pictures worked so I'll try again. His belly is just so dark that I don't know what he is. His belly is the same color as the lighter portions of his fur, and not a different color by itself. Sometimes the lighting makes it hard to tell. I hope they show up this time. If not, I'll try again.

I feed him Oxbow pellets. Mazuri seems to be cheaper so I was thinking about switching him over to that... But he really loves Oxbow so I dunno. Do you guys know of any places to get Oxbow cheaper?

So a different kind of hay can work as a nice daily treat? He has an endless supply of timothy hay. I give him oats and the occasional cheerio, but I just don't want to give him too many.

Loofas seem to be expensive here as well.. So any idea where I can get those cheaper?

My funds are kind of tapped out since I just bought some new toys and fleece... So I'll need to look into getting him snacks after my next paycheck. I'm just worried that he won't like what I buy for him. XD

We had play time last night and he was all over the place. He's becoming more friendly in his cage, but out of it he just wants to run around and get into stuff. He runs up to me when I open his cage and allows me to love him up, but still insists on not being picked up.

10mudz6.jpg

25tukh4.jpg

96kiep.jpg

241mtlz.jpg

2d1lcnd.jpg

He is adorable!! He looks like a standard to me.

As far as food, do a google search for Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe and you'll come up with quite a few online stores that carry it. If you decide to switch him to Mazuri, you'll need to do a gradual switch so that you don't upset his digestive system.

And, you can absolutely give him some different hays as a treat. We feed two different cuts of timothy, alfalfa, orchard grass and bluegrass.

He is adorable!! He looks like a standard to me.

As far as food, do a google search for Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe and you'll come up with quite a few online stores that carry it. If you decide to switch him to Mazuri, you'll need to do a gradual switch so that you don't upset his digestive system.

And, you can absolutely give him some different hays as a treat. We feed two different cuts of timothy, alfalfa, orchard grass and bluegrass.

So they can be standard without a white belly? His belly isn't actually lighter, it's the same color as his sides. There are a few spots on his tummy that's lighter than that, but it's not solid like I thought it had to be.

I've changed his food twice since I had him(from the food he came with, to a better quality food, to oxbow) and I feel bad changing it a third time since he seems to really like Oxbow. I'm still feeding him some of the old stuff and he keeps picking out the Oxbow and leaving the old stuff.

Are there any shops near PA? I'm assuming shipping will be cheaper the closer it is. I need to start bookmarking some things so I can get them later on. XD We have no feed stores or anything around here so everything I get needs to be online.

Ha! Sorry, I didn't read that his belly was the same color as his sides. In the pictures he looks like a standard, but you can't see his belly very well. If his belly is gray he's an ebony.

We feed Oxbow and I really like it. We used to feed Mazuri, but we had one chinchilla who had soft poo on and off with it. We haven't had any problems since we switched. I think if you find something that works you should stick with it unless you just can't afford it.

As far as online suppliers, look around in the classifieds and see what you can find. We're in SC, but we only charge $5.50 for shipping, or shipping is free if your order is over $50.

A standard's tummy has to be white? I was told my little guy was a standard, but his tummy is just a light gray. Now I'm going to have to try to examine him more, haha. The green oat tops you can actually buy from Ann at www.chinchillacity.com! They're wonderful treats for my little guy. He gets so excited when he hears the ziplock.

Ha! Sorry, I didn't read that his belly was the same color as his sides. In the pictures he looks like a standard, but you can't see his belly very well. If his belly is gray he's an ebony.

We feed Oxbow and I really like it. We used to feed Mazuri, but we had one chinchilla who had soft poo on and off with it. We haven't had any problems since we switched. I think if you find something that works you should stick with it unless you just can't afford it.

As far as online suppliers, look around in the classifieds and see what you can find. We're in SC, but we only charge $5.50 for shipping, or shipping is free if your order is over $50.

Yup his belly is gray.

Yeah he really likes oxbow.

I'll totally need to order something from you when I can. :)

I want to get him a friend but I'm not sure how he will be. He happily lived with another chin before I got him but I don't know if he will be okay with a new one. What age should be okay to try it? He's around 9 months old now.

I'll have to try the green oat tops :)

Latest posts

Back