My fattys

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtpie61282

Wanted to share some pics of a few chins that were returned to me this year, who I am proud to say have grown quite chubby.

I got back two of my white violet boys MRCC A1 and A2

The one I am on the fence about breeding/showing in september...size is good but concerned on his color since he is older and wasn't with me for a half a year...going to get show lights to see before I make a decision.
But I love how chubby he has grown!

Also, my Standard vc poss ebc male MRCC A6 who has gotten quite chubby too....might show him but also, concerned about his color/coat bc of age.

He has quite the personality and loves his wheel, lol

Wow, you have such gorgeous chinchillas! It's really nice to hear they are fattening up, they look good even though it's sad they were sent back. My boy looks like yours, white with a hint of gray at the base of the tail, but his eye is a purpleish red color (he only has one eye). I've never heard of the term white violet used before, and I've never seen the gray tail base on a pink white chin before. What coat color do you suppose mine would be?

Yours could just be a mosaic. These two boys are from a White violet female and a violet male.
So the markings on them (what few they have) are violet, compared to a normal gray color on a mosaic.

thanks by the way :) I hate when people give back their chins because it takes up space in my room but I love being able to see them again and of course would rather take them back than have them rehomed to someone I don't know.

I wish they came back sooner so they were in their prime for showing. So we will see what I end up doing. Might show, might not.

I don't want points against them for their age.

what are the point of these showings? Never really looked into them before. And why on earth would a chin be penalized for age? That doesnt make any sence to me.

Showing the chins allows us to see what we need to work on with our herd. We breed to better the species and better the mutations. If the color or fur density is off, it is better not to breed that animal and we can adjust the pairings we currently have.
As a chin ages their fur hue can be slightly off and most chins are shown during their prime showing age of a young adult. Mine are about 2 so if their coats are off at all I would think its due to that and hopefully not breeding.
So its hard to say when showing older animals.

Unfortunately for me, these chins I sold when they were young adults and I can't guarantee what their housing conditions were, whether the air flow was what it needed to be to help keep their coats in good condition, if they were dusted often and fed well. I love their size so want to show them but concerned about how their coats will look under the show lights. If color is off I wont know if its just from their age or other factors. Does that make sense?

Other breeders, would love if you chimed in and helped me answer this excellent question!

Latest posts

Back