My experience with litter training

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmor1031

Mikey is a vanilla bean!
So a few nights ago, I decided I wanted to attempt to litter train Mikey in his old cage, seeing as his new Critter Nation was on the way and I wanted to try and train him before it got here.
About 2 days before the CN got here, I cleaned out his old cage and put some of his soiled bedding in a dish and placed the dish in his cage in the same spot he always urinates (so he was partially trained I guess, since he always went in the same spot...). However, he would not use the dish and started peeing in other spots of the cage where he has never urinated before.
So my hopes were slightly low that he would be trained before the CN got here.
Well, the CN got here and I went ahead and bought the actual ferret litter pans that petco sells and I decided I would put his soiled bedding in the pan and still set up the CN with fleece liners and just hope for the best.

Well, he understood the litter pan right away after switching cages. He didn't pee on the fleece anywhere and although it took me a while to actually see him in the litter pan, I could tell that he was using it.
So I guess I just wanted to let you guys know my experience with litter training, since I kinda jumped ahead and didn't wait for him to learn it in his old cage. And maybe this will help a few other people out who want to litter train their chinchilla :))

I have one chin and she is litter trained. She understood very quickly what the pan in the corner was for. I put it in the corner that she always pees in, blocked all other areas with toys, and put in litter and soiled bedding that I was using at the time. She has one litter box in her cage, and one in her attached pen inside her maze where she spends a lot of time. No accidents at all and a very proud mommy! :) Too bad we can't train them to poop in the litter pan as well ;)

Well, that sounds hopeful, since I'm thinking about going with fleece lining in my boys cage. He seems to be very smart (devious), but he seems to go in different places in his cage as well. I don't know how this will work, anybody else have a chin that has more than one "pee pee" place that's successfully litter trained? I'd sure like to hear from you.:hmm:

i have one boy that is pretty well litter trained, a couple who sorta gets the hint, a couple that pees only on fleece and one who pees everywhere! the two new arlington rescues are little geniuses cause they both ONLY pee in the little box!

None of mine are trained to use a litterbox, on is on a grate so he doesn't have to worry about it, he pees in only two spots. My other two like to pee on all the litter at once, i dont know how it happens but it does. and they like to pee on their wood shelves, im not a big fan of that since when it gets really bad i have to buy new shelves! and those take alot of effort to make, or lots of money to buy. >.<

In my attempt to liter train my two munchkins is very unsuccessful. Phoenix will pee in the liter pan (when she feels like it) every once in a while. I just switched my bedding to pine so I don't think she understands that's her liter pan still.

Sedona will only use the liter pan like once or twice and that's it. The rest of the time she is rolling in it and making a huge mess.

Latest posts

Back