My Cresties!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sycamore Chins

I've been wanting these buggers for years. I bought an amazing tank a year ago in preparation. They sounded like the perfect reptile for me to wet my toes with (absolutely not allowed to have a snake if I want to ever come home, or have one of my best friends come over my place), plus they're freaking adorable!
For one reason or another it just hasn't been in the cards. Well we had a reptile and bird class here, and we had a hands on lab. The upperclassmen brought in their reptiles and I spent the whole hour with a couple crested geckos. Everyone thought they were mine because I was rattling off facts about them. Turns out, one of the second years has a pair he breeds on the side. He said he usually has at least one baby available and just e-mail him when I want one and he'll hook me up.

I waffled back and forth - and decided that I have been working my butt off in vet school, have two club officer positions, work part-time and just got the oxbow student rep position. There's no reason I can't afford them, and I need to treat myself. So April 2nd I got these two little guys, approx. 2 weeks old. They were 1.6 and 2.0 grams when I got them (and you thought baby chins were small!) and are 2.9 and 3.0 grams today. They were as long as my index finger and now are longer than my middle finger. They're doing great and will be graduating from their little 5.5 gal to a 10 gallon in a week or so.

Their names are temporarily "Spot" and "Not" - I'm very original, no? Spot has a big ole spot on his left side. Not is much more chill and handleable, and Spot is much more fancy looking. They have a long ways to go still as they'll get upwards of 30-50 grams.

Attachments

• not3.jpg
    not3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 121
  • not2.jpg
    not2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 118
  • not1.jpg
    not1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 119
  • spot1.jpg
    spot1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 118
  • spot2.jpg
    spot2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 118
Oooo_Oooo. they are cuties :) We have two crested geckos, well I should say that my bf has two of them LOL - I just peek in at them once in a while.
Congrats on your new babies :)

Thanks guys! They're fantastic - I love having them around! I'm also super excited to be able to take them out of the tank and hold them - a big difference from when I had my frogs!

I will admit, I am not exactly a lizard person. But those little guys are very cool looking and cute!

Do they have like webbed hind legs???

Very cute! I love Crested Geckos. We have a pair at work that was an owner surrender and we just ended up keeping them as unofficial mascots. :))

I will admit, I am not exactly a lizard person. But those little guys are very cool looking and cute!

Do they have like webbed hind legs???

No, not webbed feet - they have a really big circle of skin on each toe to stick to things with. They don't much like the feel of my skin so they always curl their toes up when i'm handling them - I figure eventually they'll get used to it.

Oh wow they are super cute!! We have a Chinese Water Dragon and he's just fantastic!! Congratz on your new additions and good luck with them :))

Love them! I have three crested right now and have had many in the past.

Right now I have three super dals.

The first gecko you have there is a flame, and the second one is a fabulous extreme harlequin!

And just so you know, you will have to seperate them, they tend to fight. Especially if they're different sexes or both males, as juvies they aren't too horrible with eachother. But I'd still seperate, just in case.

WOW those are super cool! My fiance has wanted a gecko for a long time since his anole died. As I understand, they can be handled frequently, correct? I know the anoles don't like to be bothered.

Also I LOVE the named Spot and Not. I think it's hilarious.

Back