My chins stopped fur chewing (for now)!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri101

When I first bought my chin she had fur chewed....BUT its grown in all now and I cant even tell it was chewed.....I have been always making sure there is lots to chew besides fur.....I know chins can fur chew a lifetime ... but I just wanted to say Im happy she stopped for a bit.....fur is not as tasty as wood or sticks!

also I know the pet store didnt give her Hay or any toys!!! they even told me chins dont eat hay ! she sure is not bored in her new home with me

Are you positive she fur chewed? Could the fur be lost simply from stress? Rubbed off on metal bars? Chewed by another chin she was housed with? At any rate I am glad to hear she's grown out her fur and is now a happy chinnie!

Are you positive she fur chewed? Could the fur be lost simply from stress? Rubbed off on metal bars? Chewed by another chin she was housed with? At any rate I am glad to hear she's grown out her fur and is now a happy chinnie!

yes she definitely fur chews when I got her home for a while I would catch her doing it I even was to the point I was peeking at night on her to "catch her" ...I know she may revert back and chew but its good to see she gave it a break for a bit!

Who knows, maybe she'll stop for a long time since she's no longer bored and probably not stressed? Just keep spoiling her rotten and maybe she'll kick the habit long term. And yes I have heard once a fur chewer always a fur chewer as well. Could she have had dry skin though? Been itchy? I mean if I had all that fur and dry skin I'd want to chew at it too! All you can do is love her pieces.

My chin came from a stressful situation ( pet store) and the few times I was in the pet store kids and people squeezed her and would drop her and stick there arms hands in the cage all day ( Im surprised she didnt run away in that store and hide) I had paid for my chin in full the day I bought her and I had to tell this young lady to please put down my chinchilla she was purchased by me....the lady was squeezing her as she was trying to get away I cant imagine being plucked at all day with no supervision by workers.....now when I open her cage door she jumps into my arms not like the old days where she would run the other way......it took many months but for any owners a shy chin/stressed chin can turn into a happy chin with love and time...

I really think she fur chewed a lot because all the had was one ledge and that was knawed to death and no toys or stimulation while she lived in the pet place boring sitting on one ledge and there was no room to jump ....

also I know the pet store didnt give her Hay or any toys!!! they even told me chins dont eat hay ! she sure is not bored in her new home with me

Congrats! Sounds like the petstore not giving your chin appropriate things to nibble on is probably what caused the fur chewing. And I imagine the stress of being poked at and surrounded by other animals and a non-stop flow of people added to your chinnies stress level. Not all chewing will be lifetime. I also have a chinny who was chewing when we got him, as soon as he got here and was showered with love and toys, he almost immediately stopped. And it's been over 2 years since that time, he hasn't chewed since! Sounds like you made your chinny as happy as can be and doesn't feel the need to chew anymore. That's great! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back