My chins soundly hate each other

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selfprodigy

Wishes chin poop was gold
As some of you know one of my chins recently had leg injury about 4 weeks ago. Then he bite into his foot and caused and infection. To make a long story short he just saw the vet yesterday and was switched to a new antibiotic after a culture was taken.

His foot is healing nicely. I've kept him separated from my other chin as we didn't want him to jump a lot with the sprain.

His knee has healed up pretty good. He still has a wound on his foot but he can jump again. So over the last two week's we've been letting him out for play time with our other chin.

Well last night something happened and the non injured chin attacked the other out of know where it was a sudden ball of fur we had to break up. They lived together for months before this all happened without issue. Could one chin be jealous of the other? We are giving it CC feedings as it's not eating enough with the antibotics. And as the one chin is sick it is getting more attention than the other but we were shocked.

Now i'm sitting here i have placed their cages side by side so they can continue to smell each other and they are squeaking at each other in a mean manner. The aggressive one is jumping all around.

What the heck happened? Any insights how do i get these to... to get along when my little one is all healed up?

With the injured chin having to go back and forth to the vet and now having a different smell than he had before and the 2 of them being separated for a while now may have triggered it. But now you need to keep them seperated and I'm also thinking you need to move one of the cages to another room as too not stress them out longer.

After the other chin has healed. Should i go through the process of reintroducing them again? Cage next to cage etc.. Ideally i want them both in their ferret nation mansion.

Once your chin has healed completely, you can try introducing them again, but you have to do it like they've never met. It is possible that they might not ever get along again... Chinchillas are weird. Good luck though.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a chin (Tia) who hates every other chin alive.

Well they had some very closely monitored play time again today and everything went perfect no fights just playing. A little bit of mounting here and there but nothing serious. The chin's foot is almost fully healed. Hair is even starting to grow back over his foot. At the advice of the vet i'll finish the antibotics, remove the bandages and give him metcam for those healing nerve endings and hopefully we can put this behind us.

I'd be a little leery of ever putting them back together again after that big a fight. You could risk ending up with a dead chin. I know that is blunt, but I've had it happen to me so I just make it a rule around my house. If there is ever a 'major' fight, they get separated forever.

Latest posts

Back