My chins don't like their hammocks...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevegan5

:hmm: I've got this nice cage for my chins-all decked out with the help from several forum members with fleece hammocks, tubes, side mount beds-and I have yet to see them in any of them...
Their cage is in the same room where I sleep and when I wake up in the night they're just chillin' on their ledges.
Is this odd? I'm not concerned about it, unless I should be, but has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks all!!!!

I never see my chin in her hammock, but I do find evidence of poop in them, so at some point she at least jumps into it. But she has never slept in it. So your chin isn't the only one who prefers ledges to hammocks.

Sometimes it just takes some time for them to get comfortable with new stuff. If you see poo in it, then it is getting used! If time doesnt help, you may need to put the new items closer to the floor (1-2 inches above) to let them get used to it and slowly move things where you want them!

Do you have fleece on the top of the cage? I find my chins all want a cover on their cages so I always put fleece on top so they feel more secure. If that doesn't work, put some rosehips in the hammock. It also depends on how the hammock is hung. Some prefer more slack and others like it taunt. Good luck!

one thing i found worked well for my boys is to make it so the bottom of the hammock touches a hard surface (like a cage shelf). i guess they feel more secure when they don't feel like they are hanging in their hammock. Rhino never did care for his corner hammock, so i washed it and gave it to Guss, who now snoozes in it a good part of the day.

i agree with Tagna about having a 'roof' over the cage. Rhino's cage has a large piece of fleece that goes across the top and down the full back of his cage, and it drapes over the sides by about 5-6 inches too. i find him in the upper areas of his cage most of the time. Guss's cage doesn't have fleece over it, and he spends more time in the bottom of his cage, in a cereal box 'house' that gives him his 'roof'.

Most of my guys take using hammocks in spells.Piglet and Eeyore didn't use their hammock for almost three years,but I just kept changing it out anyway.Finally a few months ago I found Eeyore asleep in it! My other guys(Pooh,Tigger,Christopher) tend to use the hammocks when it's cold outside(even colder than my normal 68)!Roo on the other hand is momma's little spoiled boy and he spends most of the day in his.He even expects his morning snack to be given to him there(yeah like I said spoiled)!

Well, thanks everyone!!
There is poo in one of the hammocks but not the other, I'm going to try and hang them lower. I've got their shelves adjusted so that they can reach the "comfy" spots at ease, but maybe they're up too high.
I don't have the cage covered, but I just bought a huge piece of non pill fleece today that I will try and drape over them tonight.
I appreciate all the imput...I guess the hammocks make "mom" feel like they feel safe and secure. I know, just like you always feel the need to cover a child with a blanket. I guess they will use them when they want, but I will try all of your suggestions-many thanks!

The blanket idea over the cage is a good idea. I do the same for my birds as a comfort to those that are a bit more sensitive and shy. Gives them that added bit of security.

I always had 4 hammocks in my chins cage. It took her almost a year to start using them. I just kept them in there, didn't change any around really. She would (and still does) sleep under them more often, but it was a momentous day when I walked in and all I saw was her nose sticking out of the side of a hammock.

At least this way you won't have to wash them as often, since they won't get covered with fur!

I had a hammock in my chins' cages for a couple of months. They never used them. I finally took them out, but I might try again. I agree with Chinnymom in that some chins don't feel secure without the hard surface....

i never seen my girls in the hammock either, but i always find poop in it. lol.. some of them just don't like them..

Bugs LOVES his hammock. But the crazy boys never, never, never used one. I have 3 halloween hammocks, so this time of year the crazy boys get one just for decoration.

well this moring I looked in their cage and both boys were curled up alseep in a single sized hammock. they've been in there all day now.

Don't give up.

haha afraid of change and then decided to try it out and thought it was the best thing ever it sounds like partygirlha! lol!

It has been over a month for some of the kids and they are just beginning to use their hammocks (as well as the hanging fleece houses we got from Brittany) - my observation has been that it revolves around comfort level, overall - as they have settled in, they are checking out the hammocks and hanging out in them some... and it is cuter than dingdongs when I see that little furface poking over the hammock edge, lol :)

Latest posts

Back