My Chins Best Friend!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyGuy

My Chin "Pinot" has a new best friend!! I have had my chin now since August of 2011. A couple of months ago i decided to add another pet to our family.

I met with the director of our local humane society about adopting a cat that would be a personality match for our chinchilla.

We found the perfect match, and today they are best buds!! They play together every night at play time (supervised of course).

BestFriends.jpg

Okay, firstly, the cat is gorgeous, and congrats on getting a new pet. HOWEVER, it is not safe to allow such close interaction between those two. One is a predator, one is natural prey, and they will both follow those instincts. You're asking for trouble there. Not to mention that cats can carry a whole host of different bacteria that (while no biggie for the cat) could be DEADLY for the chin, and all it would take is acccidental saliva contact or a simple scratch for you to lose the chin.

Hey Amy,

Congrats on the new addition. That picture is adorable! You may want to search the forum, there are a lot of threads regarding chinchillas and cats. Even if your cat is the most gentle creature on the planet I wouldn't let them interact anymore. Besides being hunters cats can carry bacteria that are lethal to chins. Just want you to have all the facts so you can make the most informed decision for your pets. :)

Hi Amy! I also find the picture equally adorable! I'm glad they get along so well, but I would also suggest they not interact as one quick moment could change everything and you could be at the e-vet or worse. My cats are actually scared of my chin's unpredictable movements, and they have found my escaped hamster on 3 different occasions and never harmed him, but I still couldn't put 100% faith in that they would never harm my chin, even accidentally. Just be careful :)

I agree with what others posted - it really isn't safe to have them interact so closely.

But congratulations! Your new cat is gorgeous- what a coat!

Wow what a beautiful bulls eye tabby! Watch kitty.........they do carry a prey instinct. Having said that...I have one cat that likes chins and he doesn't bother them. But I also have two others that would go after a chin.

My cat WB does that same thing. He lays around like that and watches the chin run around. And the same response of just smelling him when he gets nearby. Some cats are killers and a rare few are not. Congrats on the new furball.

Back