my chins are acting unusual

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundershadow

i was downstairs and heard a noise and didnt think anything of it then i heard it again and realized it was a high squeking coming from upstairs so i ran up to see what the problem was. as soon as i opened the door i heard the cage rustle quickly, my two female chins who are also sisters were fighting i raced over to the cage and opened it thunder and shadow seemed lifeless almost limp i thought they were dead for a second but then i noticed there eyes were open so i came on here and asked some one on chat what i should do she was a great help i called the vet and was told to wrap them in fleece blanket and let her know how they were in a couple hours they are now moving around just very skiddish and shadow has a cut under her eye and on her lip, when i go to pick her up she makes this other noise its sounds like kaack kaack kaack kaack. shadow has always been the more skiddish of the two and quicker to hide over nothing. my other chin thunder who has always been the center of attention and just so curious never loves to be held but loves to just explore the room when we set it up differently for them to play will now move around occasionally but still seems to be very scared she use to kick when i would try to pick her up now she does nothing just cuddles into my body they both have not eat or drank anything since this happened around 130. i have set up an appointment at the vet for tomorrow do you think it is an emergency and i should just bring her today?

First of all if your chins were fighting enough to cause lethargy and almost shock (hence the need for the fleece blanket) you need to separate these chins immediately. Was there any blood? Did you notice any bites on each chin? Sometimes the wounds from a bite are not visible. Both chins are clearly quite traumatized from this occurence so they could be off from this, but there could also be wounds not visible therefore a trip to the vet should be highly considered.

Again I cannot stress the importance of separating these two and keeping them separated. Many a forum member can tell you how easily a fight to the death can happen. It doesn't matter that they are sisters and have been together for awhile, chins can turn on each other at any time.

should i just go to the emergency vet now i feel like i shouldnt wait until the morning? yes they have been put in seperate cages i found an old gerbil cage from when i was younger and put shadow in it(yes. i cleaned it thoroughly). what do you think i should do? i have an appointment for tomorrow.

That depends on if they are still shocky or not. You can wrap them in a warmed towel if they appear to be shocky (lethargic, not responding, etc.) If they are up and moving, I would check them carefully for more wounds than what you saw. Typically chins will leap on the back of another chin during an attack, and pretty much scalp them. Check their backs carefully and make sure there are no puncture wounds or open wounds. Check them all over closely.

If you are sure you found no wounds, then keep them separated and monitor them closely. A couple heating pads would come in handy right now. If you have access to some, put them under half of each cage on low. If they are shocky, they will head for the warmth.

Observe them for normal behavior. See if they are eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping. See if the lethargy goes away. If it doesn't get them to a vet, but you may find that with some time the straighten out again. The biggest thing you can do to help is keep them apart and provide them with a calm, quiet environment.

I thought you were going to the vet??

Teeth grinding is a sign of pain.

Latest posts

Back