My chinchilla started furbiting?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdiz123

Hi everybody. I've had my chinchilla for about 3 months now. He's super healthy and everything or at least he was. He's on Mazuri, has a big cage, chew toys, regular dust baths, etc, he has everything he needs and more. BUT i noticed about two weeks ago that he has been starting to chew the fur on his sides (closer to his tail, sometimes if I hold him some fur that's loose from the biting will fall of. I'm extremely worried and i feel terrible, I feel like this is my fault. I have NO idea what the cause is.
What can I do? I feel so bad :(.
please help
thanks

Fur chewing happens for a few reasons. There is a genetic factor which nothing can be done about. And there is a boredom/stress factor. Has there been any changes in the household? Sometimes adding new chews and giving a quiet space for him is enough to stop it. There is no way to be sure what the cause is and there is no fix. Some chew all the time, some will off and on and others will chew only once. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing for him. Good luck.

Some chin's do grooming which can be confused for fur biting. Fur biting typically is much shorter fur but not completing gone. If it small sections of fur lose it could be due to being frightened or stressed. Most chin's I've heard do fur biting for stress reasons. If you've not had any changes to the environment, are you around during the day to ensure its not too loud? Is there anything that happens before you notice the chin is fur biting? Only having the chin for 3 months the chin can still be adjusting to you & the environment. Good luck & hope this helps.

Don't feel bad. It sounds as though you are giving him the best of everything. He might stop on his own, or it might be something he does often from now on. I'm sure it's not your fault.

It's kinda analogous to a human biting their nails: for some it is just a bad habit that they can't break. I used to bite my nails without even knowing I was doing it!

My Rosey is a fur chewer...she looks kinda funny with her uneven fur on her rump, but I love her just the same!

I havent had my chin for too long and realized thats what the color variation on her hips is..missing fur! I really want to believe that it was because of where she was a short time ago with her last owner. They had an obnoxious dog and a small child.. and her area was right in the dining room where im sure was loud and upsetting to her. I havent had her long but already I see a change. She is no longer running scared when I approach she hops right out of the cage and onto me and even lets me pet her. So im hoping it WAS a stress thing ....

Back