My chinchilla introduction story!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ssoistman26

SaraElizabeth
So... About a week ago on October 16th, I went to pick up my new chinchilla baby girl! At the time she was nine weeks old. I got the chinchilla because, well honestly, I am an extreme worrier LOL. I have another chinchilla, a beautiful dark standard gray girl named Callie, I got her also when she was 9 weeks old. She is just a doll baby, very energetic and sweet, she gives kisses when i ask for them :) Needless to say I was absolutely in love with her from day one!

Anyways, I am a full time college honors student and the Princess of my yacht club. So during the week I sometimes have alot of studying to do and cannot give Callie as much time as I feel she deserves. And on the weekends I usually have a ball to attend on fridays or saturdays and do not make it home until very late. So for the past couple months I was always so very worried about my baby girl getting lonely, even though I give her crazy amounts of attention when I am around her.

So when the breeder who I had gotten my first chinchilla from told me that she had two new kits, I thought about it and I decided to send in a deposit for a beige girl:) I was extremely excited thinking about how happy this could make Callie having someone to play with and possibly bonding with. But I was also very nervous because I am practically on the internet everyday doing research on chinchillas and I have heard many horror stories on chinchilla introductions, etc. But like I said, I did tons of reserach on tried and proven methods of chinchilla introductions and I was very confident that I could make it work. After all, before I got my firt chinchilla Callie I did almost a years worth of research to make sure I knew everything that I could about chinchillas.

I became confident, yet still nervous about the introduction. One thing I was sure that I had on my side was the age. Callie is still young(about 10 months old) and I would be getting a 9 week old baby. Callie is also a very friendly chinchilla. When I arrived to pick up the chinchilla the breeder Jenn also gave me some tips on the introduction.... So when I got home I took my Callie girl to the bathroom and the new baby Adaya to the bathroom. Everything went perfect, Adaya was rather shy. But Callie was going up to her sniffing her. And in no time Callie was even cleaning her! I was able to put them in the same cage that night and by the next day they were snuggling with eachother!! :) I think that they are best friends, I assume Adaya feels like Callie could be her mommy. I think I made a great decision by getting another chinchilla for Callie because now I know that she will never be lonely. Now to mention seeing two chinchillas get along like that is extremely rewarding! On thursday the baby started getting diarrhea and I immediately did everything I had read about to take care of it, took a poop sample to vet, etc. Her diarrhea is completely gone now and the test was negative, I must have switched her food over too fast. Let me just say that chin diarrhea is horrible and I hope that I never ever have to deal with it again LOL. Other than that, she is a perfectly happy and healthy little girl.

I just thought it would be nice to share a good chinchilla story with everyone since we are always seeing such sad or horrible stories. I also wanted to post because I am so proud of myself, being only 17(18 tomorrow!), I believe that I am a very good chinchilla mommy! After all, I find more joy out of buying things for my chinchillas then i do for myself LOL.

Later, I will post some pictures of my Callie and the new baby Adaya. I would like some opinions on Adaya because the breeder and I are still unsure as to what color she is going to be. Right now her body is beige, but her face is a brown(looks like shes wearing a mask). Her father is a brown velvet so it is possible that she could turn out to be a brown velvet and not a beige. So I was just looking for opinions on whether or not anyone with more experience could tell what she might be!

Sorry for the length and I hope that everyone has a great day!

Congratulations on a successful introduction and your new baby!

A word of caution though: A 30-day quarantine should've been observed when you brough Adaya home.

I also find it odd that the breeder wouldn't know what color she is, and letting her go at 9 weeks is a bit early, in my opinion.

couple of mistakes that could have potentialy went wrong. But im glad their getting along together. Its always nice to see two new ones getting along. I was pretty happy when my first to chins got along together :D And i like knowing my chins have a companion, so i no how ya feel'

I can´t wait to see photos of them both, it´s so good that Callie will have a little friend to love and bond with. Know how you feel about being a nervous chin mum, I stress about every little thing too :p

Hope things continue to go well for your girls!

Back