My chin pees A LOT

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigglefish13

Chinzilla
So my chinchilla, Kirby, who is about 7.5 months old, has been peeing a lot, and I wasn't sure if that was common? Or something to be worried about? His activity has been normal, along with normal eating and drinking, sometimes drinking a lot. I've checked his fecal matter and it's still hard and dry, only wet ones were ones that were in his pee spots, but they were still hard. I spot-clean up his cage twice every day and give him filtered water every night, with about 1-3 hours outside the cage for enriched activity.

Any idea why he's peeing so much? His bottom has gotten a little wet from it, but he still is taking his dust baths every other day.

Thanks!

Some chins just pee a lot. More pee is better than less pee, just like in people. :))

Some also like to sit in the pee when they go and have very dirty bottoms. They're just hard wired to squat lower when they go. Using fleece can alleviate that (though gets very smelly with a heavy peer). You can also try using pelleted pine bedding instead of shavings.

It's good to know that it's a normal thing! Thank you for your input :) I've been thinking about lining his cage bottom and shelves with fleece, so I'm glad others have had that thought as well :)

Latest posts

Back