My Chin is biting her cage?!?!?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my males does that alot, mostly in the evenings when he is first becoming active for the night. Usually he seems to do it to get my attention because he wants to get out and play! Sometimes he will still do it even after playtime so I just be sure to give him plenty of chew sticks/blocks and that usually distracts him and makes him stop. I would say just give her some chew sticks and make sure she gets out regularly for playtime. She could also just be settling in to her new environment too so maybe shes just a bit stressed and the behavior will subside.

My chin did it for the already listed reasons too. Mostly when he knew it was playtime (he got out for an hour long run around every night like clockwork). If I was late letting him out or late giving him pellets (even if he already had some in his bowl!) my little fuzzbutt would let me hear it ;) After a solid play time he was too tuckered out to bother and I made sure he had lots of chews to distract him.

Is she biting the bars or is it a plastic bottom that she's chewing through? If it's a plastic bottom and she's chewing it you need to get a new cage with no plastic asap! If it's biting bars make sure she has plenty of safe wood to chew on.

One of mine does that. Usually she's either in the punishment cage (the cage we put her in when we clean her cage) or just hanging out.

The punishment cage she does it to try and get out.

In her cage, god knows. She also hangs on to the bars at the same time and sometimes falls asleep.

It's their way of telling u they want out, I usually tell them no and leave the room for a bit, and when I go back in and they start biting again, I will tell them no again, give them a twig or something, but I will never let them get their way, these little fur balls are so smart and will start training u into their little slaves.

Just make sure they have enough things in the cage to chew on and grind their teeth. If they don't, they might start grinding on bars. Various woods/perches, loofah perches, pumice bites, twigs.

Other times its their way of getting attention, or telling you to let them out.

Back