My Chin Bites ...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mane

Hi there ,

Introduction of my Chin : 3 Months , Standard Grey Baby Boy named Buffy:)

He BITES! everytime he's on my hand , he bites on my nails and my hand .

I tried talking to him while he's inside the cage for a week ?.. but why isnt that working ?

Angry ,

mane ~

When he's biting you, is it breaking the skin? If it is, he might still feel threatened by you, just give him some time. If not, he's just testing you out to see what you are. My boys do it to me all the time, it's like they're cleaning me lol.

I agree with avecat6906, just give him time to get used to you. My standard grey still gives me little nips every now and again mainly when i have messed with their food, as long as its not breaking the skin i dont think its a bite more of a nip.

Are you sure he's biting you or just nibbling? My kits are 5 months old and they still nibble on my nails and hand every once in a while. It's not biting because it really doesn't hurt. I can feel their teeth and they are sharp. If they wanted to bite it would hurt like heck!

If they are actually biting, you need to stop picking him up and leave him be for a while. He is biting because he is telling you, "Leave me alone! I don't like that!". With some chins, a week isn't near long enough..

Yea, i got chincs ranging form a few weeks old, to a few years old. They all nibble on me to some degree. Some expecaly enjoy trying to eat my finger nails :/

I would assume thats similar to what your having since youve tried a few times. I would imagin if a chin bit as hard as he could, their would be nooo rush to try a second time very soon.

I have been bit, and yes, you know when they want to bite vs. Nibbling or grooming. Sebaschin got hold of my finger tip about a week after we got him and drew blood. He has only nibbled since and does so any time I scratch his chest/belly area.

Your chin is still a baby. Most chins don't like to be held and it's his way of saying look at me but don't touch or pick me up.

It sounds like you have not had him very long so just be patient and hopefully in time he'll get used to being held and picked up by you.

I agree with everything said thus far.
Those teeth are sharp and if he's not breaking the skin then that's just normal chinny behavior.
If he is breaking the skin, leave him be for a bit and start slowly.

awwwww.... really thanks for all the advises given .* think i gotta use my sweet voice to talk to him more in future... to let him him know he have such a sweet owner... hahas =x

Btw prob you guys can share with me something , my friend's chin have sharp nails that scratched him deep on his legs.

Doesn't chin groom themselves inculding thier nails ?

See if you can get some Lava Ledges or Lava Landings. They are made out of pumice. Chins love to chew them, and they also act like little nail files to keep their nails shorter when chins jump onto and/or sit on them. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back