My chin ate paper I'm worried

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynnann

About 2 weeks ago my chinchilla climbed threw the back of my dresser and got in the drawer. I later found out he ate some paper and the corners of a photograph. Yesterday he was out running around today he is very still he's not making any weird noises he's not chattering his teeth I picked him up today which was unusual because he didn't fight me. I rubbed his belly it doesn't feel hard I felt his brothers belly and they feel the same I just don't know what to do. he's not taking treats from my hand and I have not been able to see him eat from his bowl or drink any water. But he looks the same size. Should I be worried or is he just tired?

Eating a little bit of paper "shouldn't" hurt him. My chins have eaten paper towel rolls stuffed with hay, cardboard boxes, Carefresh. Are you sure there was nothing else in the drawer?

It takes chins roughly 12 hours to pass something they ate, so paper the chin ate 2 weeks ago would be long gone from their system. Or are you are saying the chin got back into the dresser again yesterday and ate more stuff? Also most chins don't actually eat the paper they just chew it up, unless he ate (actually swallowed) a lot or it has something poisonous on it (toxic paint, ink, glue, etc), it shouldn't be a problem.

A sudden change in behavior is worrying, you say he looks the same size, but did you weigh him to see if he is losing weight? How is his pooping and peeing? If he is still doing that then he is eating and drinking, just maybe when you aren't watching, otherwise nothing would come out. Chins hide illness as long as they possibly can, so once you notice something wrong chances are they are really sick and need vet care now. Chins can't go very long without eating/drinking or pooping/peeing, their gut bacteria starts dying within a day of not eating, so if any of those things have stopped I would take the chin to the vet.

I have a vet appointment tomorrow at 230. I know he's pooping and eating a little. He won't hand feed at all. And this morning he just seemed exhausted.

Thank you for the info. He just seems tired today. Maybe he had a rough night. I took him out and he hopped around and climbed up on my shoulder. If he was in pain or sick would he still do these things? I don't know what else it could be if it's not the paper he ate.I keep the room at 70 they get fresh purified water daily I clean the bottle daily also I Give them fresh food every other day.

I just found out my baby boy has a tumor. He was impacted but once the stuff cleared they found the tumor in his intestines. I'm heart broken. His older brother is not as lovable as he is. Bubbles likes to be held and rubbed. How do I get squeaker to be more like bubbles? Squeaker actually sprayed me with pee the other day when I tried to pick him up. He will eat from my hand and occasionally let me pet him but he freaks when I try to pick him up. What can I do?

Latest posts

Back