MY 4 chinchillas pictures

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccChalieAndSpruce99chins

i didnt take any pics for the mama chin
anywas, i saw someone said chins under 6 months old shouldne be given treats.i was just wondering if there are a specific reason why, i give my baby chinchilla papayas dired apple treats rose buds yogurt drops all kinds of treats maybe 3 times a week her poop is fine.

chins15.jpg

chins13.jpg

chins5-2.jpg

chins3-2.jpg

chins2-2.jpg

i do have bath houses i have like 5 of them, and a metal one. the show box is clean, i just found it and i thought the size was perfect for chinnies

No they can't. They can't have any kind of fruit either. The sugar content is too high for their sensitive digestive tracts.

Your baby is too cute!! I just wanna kiss his little nose!

really i thought fruits had more vitamins in them and like the herbs and stuff.

this is the yogurt drop i bought at petsmart.
they also have other flavors (vanilla, strawberry etc)

ECMSAVSRJ8ZUF24KUU.jpg

my chin loved those. but after i got on this forum i learned you are not supposed to give them those sonce they are very high in sugar and could cause liver damage. i stopped giving them.
but i do give my baby chin a vitamin c pill for chins everyday. since he hates rosehips.

I used to give mine vitamin C pills every day, but I read somewhere on here that after they looked at the ingredients that it wasn't good for them either...but this was awhile ago....have you tried rose petals?

And omg your chins are soooooo adorable.

Honestly yogurt drops shouldn't be sold at ALL. They are basically poison, animals don't need sugar. Also I'm fairly new to chinchillas but is the chinchilla in the first picture pregnant? If not is he or she considered overweight? I'm just curious :)
Also I wouldn`t feed a baby chin treats, no need.

Are those piddle pads your using? If so, most of them contain chemicals to attract the puppy to potty on them. Might be harmful?

The little one is a doll baby!

Chins under 6mo should not have treats - it's like giving candy to an infant... they are still growing and need all of their nutrients from good pellets and hay.

As a rule, I would avoid feeding any treats from a petstore including mineral chews. Just because they have a chin's picture on it does not mean they are ok.

In certain instances dried papaya can be ok to give (it can help with specific GI issues) but I would not give it on a regular basis. There is no need. Stick with bite sized non frosted shredded wheats, rose hips, dried rose buds, a plain cheerio, or pinch of old fashioned oats if you want to give a treat. And for any age chins, sticks and good chews or a handful of tasty hay like botanical, orchard, or alfalfa is also a safe "treat".

Yes, on ditching the puppy pads - if they decide to chew it they can ingest that and get an impaction and they do have scent chemicals on them. Switch to fleece liners or use shavings.

Cute chins!

Last edited:
Honestly yogurt drops shouldn't be sold at ALL. They are basically poison, animals don't need sugar. Also I'm fairly new to chinchillas but is the chinchilla in the first picture pregnant? If not is he or she considered overweight? I'm just curious :)

Can't speak to the pregnancy part but if not, no that is not considered overweight, in fact size like that is desirable in breeding chins...I've got a room full of chins that look just like that, if not bigger - perfectly and pleasingly plump :)

Also I'm fairly new to chinchillas but is the chinchilla in the first picture pregnant? If not is he or she considered overweight? I'm just curious :)

No, HE is not pregnant. He's just a larger male and he's looked like that since he was 7 months old. I don't feed any treats, so he is not overweight, it's his normal size from a healthy diet.

Latest posts

Back