Multiple Chinchillla Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrea44

Right now I have one female chinchilla and am planning on getting another in the summer when I have more time. I have I few questions.
I am planning to keep them in separate cages for a few weeks next to each other.

Here's my questions:

1. When I put them together should I have 2 wheels (chin spins) in the new cage (CN) since this could be a source of conflict?

2. How long should I have them in separate cages?

Any other advice would also be helpful for introductions/ bonding.

Thanks!

One wheel should be fine.

Caging two chinchillas together is a HUGE DEAL. Make sure you keep them out of the same room when you buy your 2nd new chinchilla. The new chin needs to get used to its surroundings. It will already be scared/anxious/nervous, and it will just worsen it by having your dominate chinchilla in the same room.

Keep the new chin out for at least 30 days.

After 30 days, put the cages as far away as possible from each other in the same room its usually good to wipe down the cages well so there will be no dominate scents. Keep them like this for 2 weeks.

If the chins are doing well at this point. Move the cages side by side (NOT TOUCHING). again, wipe down/clean both cages. keep them here for 1-2 weeks depending on how well they do

Now you can put the cages side by side, where the chins can sniff and touch, but not bite each other. for about a week during this time, you can have a period during the day for 10 minutes where you can put the chins in each others cages (separate of course) that way they can get used to scents.

before you cage them, make sure you have an introduction play time. go to a small space like a bathroom, and let them play together. Humping, and some light biting/nibbling is ok. They will make noises, so dont be alarmed. HOWEVER, if they do fight and any blood is drawn or large chunks of fur fly, separate them. wait a week, and start this process over.

Just remember to be patient. It's a long process, and if you rush it, it could result in the loss of one of your chinchillas!

You should also be prepared for the possibility that they might NEVER get along.

I once had dreams of a small happy herd, but alas I ended up with three female chins who all hated each other! No amount of patience cured it! In the end, I was left with three singleton chins :)

Back