Moving to warm-ish apartment, need suggestions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrynight0621

I am moving to a different apartment this weekend. It has central air, BUT.... I turned the air to 65 degrees on July 1st, and the air has yet to get there. The coolest it has gotten is 70.

Now, I am not quite comfortable with this and worry about Wally. I have to move to this apartment because it's in walking distance to my work, and my family only has one car. Plus it's only $435 a month and I can afford it. My current apartment is $772 a month, but has an awesome A/C.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I thought about removing his exercise wheel for the summer and getting some chin chillers. Do you keep those in the freezer or fridge?

I have a dehumidifier, but it can actually make a room warmer with the engine going. Should I put the dehumidifier in his room or no?

I live in South Central Indiana. It can be quite humid here.

Get a window unit air conditioner. Chin chillers are only for temp emergency. It isn't a long term fix. Floor model ac units cost more but there is no substitute for air conditioning to keep them cool.

Can't you just put an air conditioner in the window of the room where he is? That would be the best solution. Chillers only work for a few minutes. As soon as they warm up to room temperature, they are useless. Using the dehumidifier probably isn't going to help either, as you said, it just blows out warm air.

Quite a few people have had those, some with success, others not. You have to have a window to vent the hose out of, which isn't a big deal IMO. I also have heard that they won't cool a huge area efficiently, but they work for one room.

The nice thing about the portables is usually landlords don't complain because they aren't hanging out of the window. The hose is like the hose on a drier and you can just mount it, aim it out of the screen, and it's barely noticeable.

In addition to the a/c, in the really warm months I use the energy efficient black out curtains and keep them closed during the really warm months. That really seems to help with the heat as well.

You should call maintenance at the apartment and let them know that the central air isn't working like it should too. It might just need a filter replaced, or something simple like that.

You should call maintenance at the apartment and let them know that the central air isn't working like it should too. It might just need a filter replaced, or something simple like that.

Haha, they don't have maintenance. A woman who recently went through a divorce is doing most of the maintenance and she isn't sure how to fix everything.

I'm going to buy the small portable A/C tonight and get it ready for tomorrow. Hopefully I'll only be living here for a year or so.

Latest posts

Back