Moving overseas unsure what to do with my babies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

May

I have a male and female chinchilla, caged separately, ages approximate 8 and 6 years old respectively.

I love my chinchillas greatly, and when I got them I never in my life imagined that I would be in this scenario. I have to move to Europe shortly and I am conflicted what the best solution for making certain my chin-children are in the absolute best scenario for their well being.

My male suffers from malocclusion and must have an exotic vet trim his teeth regularly. I had a great trouble even finding a vet willing to do this and I've been unable to find anyone I personally know whom is willing to continue with this extra responsibility.

So I'm at a bit of a dilemma and need some advice. I've not been able to find any suitable adoptive parents and there doesn't seem to be any chinchilla specific rescues in my area (South of Cleveland, Ohio).

I don't know if it would be less stressful or cruel to take them far away to a possible rescue and leave them to their own fate at the risk of my own infinite worry, or to chance trying to ship them internationally with me?

Are chinchillas even viable for such a long journey? They would have to be shipped as cargo..with like the checked in luggage, and then on top of that spend two weeks in quarantine with goodness knows even whom if they could be cared for at all properly.

I know chinchllas don't travel well and die of fright so easily and are overall very distressed with change and general business in their environments so I would feel incredibly awful if i ended up killing them in transit. Or will it be better for the chinchillas to just rule this out completely like I initially had? If so, does anyone know of a chinchilla haven in my general area?

Sorry for the long and rambling post, my nerves are quite high at the moment.
Thank you for your time in reading

There are several large ranchers who ship internationally. Some chins travel better than others though. You may want to talk to ritterspach or Mark Miller since they export regularly. Have you looked for a good vet in your new area yet? That may help you decide whether taking them is a good idea since your one is a social needs

Back