Moving into "barn"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynnschins

I have been thinking about moving my chins out of the house and into a "barn" / shed. I live in the northeast so I will need to deal with heating, cooling and humidity. Does anyone have suggestions on how to accomplish those things economically? I am also wondering if someone has moved their animals out of the house and now regret it.

I moved my chins to the finished basement a while back. They seemed miserable without the hustle and bustle of the daily household activities. It didnt last long before I brought them back into the dinning room!

Are these your pets or are you a breeder?
This is a really important question. Don't move your pets out of the house. If they can't be a part of the family it is time to let them go to someone who can provide that for them.

If you are starting breeding, having them in their own barn was the best thing I did. I installed special walls that I can wipe the urine off weekly, lighting on timers and constant ventilation to deal with the excess ammonia from pregnant females. Cover every intake (ac/heat) with high grade HEPA filters to keep the hair contained. It also helps to have a few spare filter units around the room. This will save you from having to replace the units yearly and from having potential fires.

I am a breeder. I have around 30 chins right now and am looking to expand. I have them in my basement. I am running a dehumidifier and using the house furnace. It would be nice to give them in their own place.

Latest posts

Back