Moving Chinchilas and Critter Nation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

Due to some unfortunate circumstances with a now ex-boyfriend, I'm moving. And I'm taking the girls with me, of course. My apartment is all worked out, and everything is set for January 26th...

I'm just not sure how exactly to move a CN cage. It's the double one... Should I take it apart? It is really heavy after all. How hard is it to take apart? What's the best way to move chinchillas in general?

Any advice would be super. The chins are my only moving stress at the moment..

I would probably take the halves apart, and take off the stand too. I don't know about you but putting my CN cage together required a sledge hammer.....(okay im exaggerating of course...but a hammer WAS required...) Completely taking it apart might be really tricky...That's the best advice I can think of, and sorry to hear about your circumstance ):

I have moved several Ferret Nation doubles. They are the same dimensions and will fit in most SUVs if you take the stand off. We even leave the shelves in but do take out the wheel. That is the fastest and easiest way. That way the cage is almost ready to go when you get there and the chin doesn't have to hang out in a carrier for long.

I have moved several Ferret Nation doubles. They are the same dimensions and will fit in most SUVs if you take the stand off. We even leave the shelves in but do take out the wheel. That is the fastest and easiest way. That way the cage is almost ready to go when you get there and the chin doesn't have to hang out in a carrier for long.

That's good to know. My idea was to lie it down in the truck I'm going to rent, as the last thing to go in/first thing to come out. I don't even think I would need to take the stand off in that case...

I'd use a rubber mallet not a hammer (so it doesn't get scratched or if you have to use a towel over the end) and really they aren't too hard to take apart if you need to...

:)

For the chins seprate carriers and riding in the cabin should be good, seat belt em in, place them on the floor or have a person to hold the cariers. Any of those three methods work. They shouldnt need food or water if its short distance.

Do not put the carriers on the floor of the car. The heat coming through the floor from the road and engine can cause heatstroke.

When my husband and I moved, we separated the top and bottom of our FN and placed them in my husband's truck bed. He strapped them down with bungy cords. I used cat carriers for each of them and strapped them in my car.

Thanks for the advice!! I'm going to attempt to separate the CN in two, but I may end up just putting it in the truck as is, depending on how long I struggle with trying to pull it apart. I have a double carrier for the chins, and they'll be on my lap for the entire ride. I'm moving within the same city, so it's not a very long ride, and they're the last thing I'll pack and the first thing to get set up in the place.

Back