Mouse parts in hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyzarandGemma

Chinchilla Enthusiasts!
Hey guys:
So I freaked out because I found patches of fur and skin in my chins' hay basket. I thought it was one of them so I searched them over (they really appreciated it) and found nothing. My boyfriend thinks it was a mouse/rat. Has anyone ever encountered this? If so, should we throw away the 10 pounds of hay it came in?

Ewwww! I would take a really really close look through your hay. Do you have pictures that you can send to the hay supplier? While mice/rats can and do get caught up in hay bales, mutilated, and incorporated, the selection process that sort through the hay and packages it would (I hope) sort through that. I would worry that if there are animals parts in your hay there could be harmful bacteria/diseases/other unfortunate things in there too....

Where did you get the hay from? If it was a store you try returning the bag but if you buy it by the bale from a farmer its hard to prevent things like that. Did you just start the bag? If you just started it Iwould toss the top half and use the rest.

My friend found a dead mouse in her Oxbow 9lb bag. They replaced it. It happens as hay is grown where there are all sorts of critters. I have heard of people finding big grasshoppers too. Blech!

It's difficult to avoid as it is, well, nature and all. I personally would ask for it to be replaced. I think I draw the line at chopped up bits of relatives of the animals I am feeding the hay to. :hmm:

Latest posts

Back