More safe wood questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EveningChin

Ok, I DID read the safe wood page on the Master FAQ's list but there are a number of woods not mentioned.

So heres the list:

Rosewood
Teak
Walnut
Mahogany
Hickory
Maple
Walnut

Are any of these safe?
I may update this list!

Last edited:
To my knowledge Teak, Walnut and Mahogany are NOT safe to give chins. I don't think the other ones listed are safe either, but not 100% sure off the top of my head.

To my knowledge Teak, Walnut and Mahogany are NOT safe to give chins. I don't think the other ones listed are safe either, but not 100% sure off the top of my head.

These are the ones that stuck out to me too. For the other ones you'll have to wait for another opinion:thumbsup:

Teak - not safe
Mahogany - not safe
Hickory - Hickory is part of the carya family, which includes pecan, which is safe. - I've not found anything either way on safe or not with it.
Maple - not safe
Walnut - not safe

Rosewood - this one was one I've not really encountered before as it's not as common as a wood per se. Most common in this family is hibiscus, cotton ( like you get the fabric from, not cotton wood tree), and varieties of okra ( I love okra). Also of course is marshmallow, as well as balsa, cacao ( cocoa tree) and basswood.

Basswood is considered safe. This one would be a tough, personal choice due to lack of experienced evidence.

Good luck.

Wow! Thank you everybody! I'm just looking onto making a new cage and found some of these online for a good price.

Thanks again!

Back