More rat questions!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammie

So the rats are being much nicer to me since I've been giving peas more often but I wanted to know how many peas is too many peas in terms of per day? I ask because it's the only way to get Molly to take her antibiotics which she needs twice a day for five more days and if she isn't cooperative while I'm giving them, I can accidentally rip her scab off.

Unlike chins, rats can have lots of healthy treats. I wouldn't worry about giving her too many peas if it's the only way she will take her meds. Rats can eat pretty much anything healthy we can. As a rule, they will not overeat.

What kind of meds are you giving?

As Menagerie said, they can do a lot of healthy treats. To get my girls to take their antibiotics I have to mix it in with a dab of cool whip. Talk about unheathly, but it over powers the taste of the baytril/orbax which they hate.

Glad she's healing. :)

It's smz/tvp? It's a cherry flavored liquid which she takes like a champ now that she's figured out she gets put down and is given peas right after. Thanks guys!

I always had to just stick the dropper in the side of their mouth and squeeze! They didnt like it, but it got the job done. Im glad you seem to be doing quite well with your little one!

Is it Trimeth suspension? That stuff is usually very palatable for any animal. My rats take Baytril directly out of the syringe without a second look.

It is. She's much better at it than she was when she began taking it. The first time I gave it to her it took fifteen minutes because she didn't want it. It took her a few days to realize that it's always going to be the same yummy stuff. The other part was that I had to hold her head which is where her injury was so no matter how careful I was, she would squirm into my finger and hurt herself. Poor thing. Good news, though! She's back living with all of her sisters!! They're thrilled :)

Latest posts

Back