Moody Chinchilla, Help?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariana077

Hey all! I just recently got my first chinchilla (who is already spoiled and I love almost more than anything!) about a week and a half ago. He's a male, 6 months and his name is Henry. Clearly I wasn't the smartest in letting him run around the first night after he was in his cage for a bit (but I live in an efficiency so it's not like he's ever out of my sight) and he absolutely loves it. But now he's taken to hiding between my desk and the wall. It's so strange, when I come home and let him out he'll be all happy and come see me (although not pick him up nicely yet, but not to be expected it's a new relationship) but after running around for awhile or when I start doing homework he'll go between my desk and the wall and just hide there. When I go looking for him because he's not running around he starts squealing at me and attempts to bite if I get close. The first time he did this I thought he may be stuck but he puffs up if I try to get him out. I don't want to hurt him but he'll literally stay this way as long as I'd let him. Please help

you need to block off that space somehow, since it is difficult for you to get him out of there.

sounds like he's still settling in, and i would recommend some bonding time between the two of you while he is in his cage. just lay your hand there and let him investigate, find out you are not a big bad predator that is trying to eat him (because i'm sure that is what he is thinking). after he seems calm with investigating your hand/arm, give him little scritches under his chin. move slowly so you don't upset him. talk to him all the while, or even sing silly little songs. the key is to get him used to you and not be scared and defensive at all.

another good suggestion for you would be to invest in a play pen for him to come out of his cage into. make it so that his cage is on the floor and he can come in and out of his cage into the play pen at will. places like petsmart/petco sell the wire playpens, just make sure the bar spacing on them isn't greater than an inch, as any larger and your chin may get stuck trying to escape.

hope that helped!

I have definitely spent a lot of time bonding with him both in and out of the cage. He definitely will investigate my hand and my arm (but only really in an attempt to get out of his cage) He lets me scratch him under his chin and he enjoys it but then it's like he realizes that I'm doing it and just kinda goes back to trying to get out of the cage. He generally doesn't get upset when he's in the cage, unless I just want him to get to know me and won't let him out. If I don't let him out within a few minutes he will often go in the corner and make a pouty face and then start doing some squeaks like he does when he was trapped. I thought about the play pen but I'm just confused, he'll like me for the first hour and a half of being out and runs from me a little, but as soon as I start doing something other than focusing just on him he won't come near me and is scared:cry3:

even the chins iv had for a good while will run into a spot liek that after a while and have the same attitude. Only thing iv been able to do is try and block it off from them.

The first time it hppened, i looked around and didnt see my chin and i got so worried. Bit of a shock when i found out where they were lol.

It was a huge shock! And my heart stopped I was so scared that something had happened to him. Today he's being much better and even more playful as ever (especially with me!!) thanks guys, I realize it's probably just a freak out on my part but he's just so adorable and I love him so much I worry I'm not taking care of him right or he needs something I'm not giving him (besides love and attention because he's getting lots of that!) Thanks!!

You may want to start saving cardboard boxes, preferably longer ones, as they block the space between the wall and the desk really well. I use fleece blankets, pillows and fleece scraps as filler in the smaller spaces like under doors, under the oven drawer in the kitchen, behind the couch, etc. Since it's a trial and error process, I can almost guarantee that he WILL find a way to get back behind there as soon as you block it off. They see it as a game, so you'll want to distract, distract, distract!

I made my own box maze and leave carriers lying open around my apartment so that they always have somewhere dark to hide. When he does get back there, you could try blocking off the opposite side and speak to him softly or sing to him so that he realizes you're not a threat. My guys come around a lot quicker when I'm at their level, so if that method fails, try doing the same thing while lying on your back on the floor. The other thing you could try is sticking your arm back there, palm down, so that he gets curious and starts to investigate your hand. You'll want to encourage that behavior by continuing to speak softly until he's willing to come out. Once he's really interested in exploring you, you should be able to move aside a bit and allow him to come out on his own.

I feel your pain all too well, as Boji LOVES getting behind my desk and will stay back there for days at a time if I let him. Lots of patience and life-size games of tetris will help.

Good luck! :))

He definitely will investigate my hand and my arm (but only really in an attempt to get out of his cage) He lets me scratch him under his chin and he enjoys it but then it's like he realizes that I'm doing it and just kinda goes back to trying to get out of the cage. He generally doesn't get upset when he's in the cage, unless I just want him to get to know me and won't let him out.

I envy you his good behavior on this one. Jonesy is 3 1/2 months, and her response to cage-door attention is to try to trick me into thinking she wants to walk on my arm, then use it as a springboard to get halfway across the room. When that fails, she shoves at me with her paws, and has actually bitten me to get me out of her way twice. (Currently, she's back to paw-shoving and attempts at trickery, as she discovered that biting leads to loud "no"s, the cage door getting closed, and her being ignored for 15 minutes.)
I'm reminded often of when I was a nanny for a toddler who was a genius with behavioral problems. The way he's testing you and pouting doesn't sound strange or worrisome to me, just like what young anythings (human, chin, puppy) do.
As far as him getting scared when he's out of the cage and you're not paying attention to him, couldn't you just block off that one spot as others have suggested, then work his playtimes into your schedule? He doesn't need to be running around freely all the time.

He will be nicer, it takes alot of time with some of them. My oldest girl pebbles was around the same age as yours when i got her and was so mean and she'd bite me also..it took me over a year for her to let me rub her cheeks.. forget about my other girl abby.. it took me over 3 years for her to start liking me..i figured she'd never like me but one day started talking to me with noises and jumping on me wanting me to hold her...now shes even sweeter than pebbles is!!

Thanks for all your replys! It was so nice of you all to help me out, he's much better and he's even running and jumping around in my lap finally :)

Back