Momma who self mutilates?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuddlebug

Has anyone ever seen a chinchilla female that self mutilates while she is pregnant/nursing?

I have a female that has given me several litters. The last three litters, she appeared to be injuring her side (same spot every time) late in the pregnancy and sometimes while nursing, too. The injured area is about 1/2 inch by about 2 inches from the shoulder down to the armpit. It appears abraded and even skinned in spots. The fur surrounding it is always plucked clean of fur. We have never found any loose fur on the cage or anything she could have hurt herself on. It always heals up fine and the fur grows back.

After it happened the third time, I am of the opinion that she is doing this to herself. I have just never heard of it. Does anyone have an idea why she would suddenly begin doing this and what could be done for her?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cornellia

That is strange. Having been pregnant my self I know it can get quite uncomfortable towards the end, Perhaps one of her mammary glands irritates her or the fetus is pressing uncomfortably in that area?

Back