Mom attacking babies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverWolf696

Chin lover!!!!
Have you ever had a mom chin turn on her 6 week old babies and if so what did you do? We've separated babies from mom and they're being fostered with another chin mom but I'm not sure if we should hand feed or see if they can make it without.

It depends how big the kits are. I have a female who seems to wean her kits at 5 weeks and can get quite nasty with them if I don't pull them around 6 weeks. But the good thing is her kits are always 250+ grams and are fine without fostering.

I'd supplement them, maybe two or three times a day. Once you know they're gaining with the new mom you can stop. If they are really ravenous with the milk then you know they're hungry. Hope it all goes well.

I would go ahead and wean the two 180g kits and try to reintroduce the 150g kit back to mom. Also, check mom's nipples to make sure she doesn't have scabs or other wounds from the kits fighting for milk.

For larger litters that seem hard on the mom, I usually wean when they hit 6 weeks and are over 180g. They always do just fine.

Back