Mom and dust bath?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilanniesmommy

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place. Lucy had her baby on May 26th. when can I give her her dust bath? I couldnt find any threads on this, maybe I didnt look in the right places. Mom and baby are doing fine sofar. Can I still give mom her treats? I normally give them some oats, goji berries, homemade treats(made of pellets, oatflour, black strap molasses and banana) and a vitamin c tablet once a week. Can I still give her these things or will it mess with her milk?:hmm: I dont give them to her all at once. Just once a day I would give her something before I went to bed as a treat.

Last edited:
I normally wait only 10 days for her to heal before giving the dust back. As for the treats, I honestly would wait. The babies digestive tract is very sensitive, and I wouldn't chance it personally. It probably wouldn't have a negative effect on the baby, but why chance it? The other more experienced breeders could tell you more.

Thanks for the info. I will wait on the treats for a little while, she'll just be that much happier when she does get them.Lol Like you said why chance it. I will give her the dust bath tomorrow just to be extra careful. Thank you again for the help.

Go ahead and give her a bath. I have given dust baths to mom's struggling with labor and it helps them pop out the kitlets. Jan Ryerson told me a long time ago "Chins in the wild don't wait for 10 days to dust bathe. Why should captive chins with dust that is a whole lot cleaner?"

10 days is what I've read as far as waiting for dust baths. She'll look like a grease muffin but it won't hurt her. When you let mom bath after those 10 days, let the baby watch and maybe she'll bath too.

I'd hold off on the treat as well, along with the sensitive digestive tracts, you never know when the baby might take momma's treat.

I've heard of various responses. Some say 30 days, others don't really count the days. If you were to do it now, I would just make sure the baby is out of the way in the case the container gets knocked around.

Back