Moldy Ledges?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

I bought some apple ledges to use in my degus new cage, however, noticed eye issues with one and took her to the vet and she's blind. I was concerned about moving her to a new cage but her vet said she had her sister to show her around. I continued buying different things for the cage, and her sister became ill. While their vet was looking into a tricky surgery, her sister didn't make.
I again became concerned moving her to a new cage but this time by herself so I moved the new cages and the supplies to storage. I boxed the apple ledges up (with other ledges and shelves, etc) in a diaper box with the flaps closed (not taped up or nothing)

Recently, I've decided I wanted to start looking into preparing the new cage for Lily (blind degu), however, when I brought the stuff out of storage I noticed the apple ledges are covered in mold. None of the other things in the box had mold on them.

Anyways... long story short...

Are the ledges no good or can they be cleaned off?

Just for the record, I want to state that I in no way think the moldy ledges are the seller fault which is why I am not contacting the seller. I bought these ledges sometime last year.

In my opinion, I would toss them (moldy ledges). Just not worth it.
Sorry about your degu that didn't make it :(

I agree with Sandi. Know the costs of wood/ledges is expensive esp shipping, but it's not worth the risk of chin's health'

they could've gotten to much moisture and not enough airflow in storage. The wood processing sellers do basically kills bacteria and dries out the wood, but if it gets wet again (even just enough humidity in the air) it could start to mold. I think at over 50% humidity you start having the risk of mold?
I do sticks store them in cardboard boxes, and my house stays at about 40% humidity and those stay fine. If they were in a basement or something and got too much humidity and the air didnt keep moving around the ledges enough to dry them out, it could cause mold.

Latest posts

Back