Mixed feed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tati121

Is there any particular reason or benefit to mixing different types of pellet for one's chin? I remember having read that someone mixes 3 parts Mazuri to 1 part PRSC for their chins and this got me thinking since I currently have both Mazuri and PRSC on hand. I know that a chin's GI system is extremely sensitive and the more that is introduced to it, the greater the chance of disrupting the delicate balance the gut flora has maintained but I'm curious about the practice. Is it to combine the different benefits so to speak of different types of pellets?

I originally had Watson on some crap pet store food he came with and ended up doing a gradual switch over to Mazuri (while keeping my eye out for soft poops) and at first he would eat all of the pellets. Then he would only eat the crap pellets, and then when it was only Mazuri he went on a pellet strike! I kept free feeding him hay and he was gobbling that up as always so then I decided to buy PRSC and try giving that to him (I had also read that PRSC and Manna Pro are also especially good for their coats and Watson has a slight, slight touch of dry skin around the ears which prompted me to choose the PRSC over say Tradition and Oxbow, but I digress...) I continued to give the pellets to him but to no avail. Fast forward about a week and he mysteriously starts eating all of his Mazuri! But now I have some PRSC I ordered for him and have no idea what to do with it.

Would mixing it be detrimental, useless, or beneficial?

Ideas, opinions, suggestions? :hmm:

The only time I've ever heard of mixing different pellets is during food switch where you start with 75% old food and 25% new for a week, then 50/50 for a week then 25% old to 75% new for a week then all new food.

The only time I've ever heard of mixing different pellets is during food switch where you start with 75% old food and 25% new for a week, then 50/50 for a week then 25% old to 75% new for a week then all new food.

Meanie to the rescue!

Yeah that's what I had originally heard as well up until maybe a week ago. I'll try and find where it was I read it initially...

ETA: Found it!
Riven-I feed a 75 to 25 mix of prsc and mazuri.

Maybe she's switching over, or maybe she feeds a mix?

Feel free to add to the conversation ErinsChins! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I mix 3 parts PRSC to 1 part Mazuri, so maybe it was me you were referring to. I do this for two reasons:
A) The first chins I got for breeding were being fed this
B) I have tried feeding Mazuri alone and got soft poop and PRSC alone gave me hard poop and one case of constipation.

I wouldn't recommend it if you are happy with what you are feeding. I am currently trying to find something better.

ETA: You beat me to it xD

Is there any particular reason or benefit to mixing different types of pellet for one's chin?
Seasonal quality issues is why I do it, I've been mixing Purina, Nutrena and have just added Manna Pro to the mix as it was all I could find fresh. They pick out and waste what they don't like regardless.

I've found if I just feed one some refuse to eat it and get skinny in the spring/fall. If I mix two or three everyone eats. There is a good amount of waste though as most have a preferred type.

Would love to be able to mill my own, or have tradition shipped down, but feed life is very short here and I don't have that many chins.

Latest posts

Back