Mites... help! Treatment unsuccessful.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

My hedgehog somehow contracted mites this past summer. We have gone through two rounds of treatment (Revolution "liquid" that you squeeze on), thorough cleaning of her cage, etc. She STILL has them. I've dealt with mites before and one round of treatment and thorough cage cleaning has always been enough. I've never had a case this bad.

Something is clearly not working. Either we are not doing enough re: cage cleaning to eliminate them (I let the cage and all supplies sit in a bleach/water mixture and rince with hot water, bed on paper towels which are changed every day, etc) or the Revolution isn't working, or something.

I need to get this cleared up NOW, because obviously the longer she has mites, it's obviously not comfortable for her, sozialization/out of cage time is limited due to fear of the mites spreading elsewhere, and honeslty, I don't trust my mother to properly disinfect her cage and do the treatment on her properly/on a regular schedule.

Is there any sort of bath or injection or something that I can use instead of the revolution? I will be making a vet appt tomorrow but I want to have an idea of what to ask about when I call.

ETA- I just got off the phone with the vet office and they had an available appt. at 8:30 tonight so we are going then. But if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime they would be greatly appreciated.

Back