Miste Tibb's Tail

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annieo

Loving Pet Owner
Mister Tibbs has always had a bit of thin tail, but lately, it is significant.

Here is a pic of his tail at the base.

912622a1.jpg

And here is his full body.

4a07c895.jpg

What do you think? Issues? And what issues?

Thanks in advance,
Annie

It looks like he may have caught it between something. There may be an area in his cage or play area his tail drops into or through that is a tight fit and it rubs that part of his tail. Or it may have happened when he was being held by his tail. As long as the skin does not look irritated (like ringworm) I would not be concerned about it. The missing fur will take longer to grow back than body fur and sometimes tail fur does not grow back.

Fur chewing is also a possibility.

Last edited:
Looks like a tail fur chewer to me, being at the base of the tail like that. I have had two that chewed the fur off until bald. With his change of homes recently I am not suprised to see chewing, it happens.

They do not do fur slips from the tail do they? Annie, you stopped doing shared playtimes right? I guess he was stressing out about it huh? That could cause fur chewing. Maybe, idk, he could go back in your bedroom for a little while.

They can slip fur from the tail, especially if held by the tail too firmly while grooming - I have seen this first hand at shows. I don't know that this is the issue though especially if it is getting thinner - possibly it is chewing. Maybe try some of the supplement sold by Fuzzies Kingdom for stress relief as it may be due to change to the new home.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Theresa, they never shared playtime, I just had their cages next to one another. It seems to have gotten worse since I moved Tibby away from Handbag but in the same room. Maybe he liked it better the other way. I just moved him to give them (and me) more space. I might move them back together. They get along perfectly next to one another, I just didn't see any interest from either one in getting together so I decided to let them be. :)

Like Cathy said it takes tail fur much longer to regrow. Gus had a bad slip once and it took upwards of 6 months before I didn't notice it anymore.

Back