Miss bully girl

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asha

Currently, I have three female chins that reside together. It is a mother and her two 8 month old babies. From the start one of the babies, Daisy, always seemed more timid than her sister Zelda. As they have grown, Zelda seems to have become much more dominant and perhaps a slight bully. These days Zelda is more dominant over Daisy and also her mother Peach. Lately, they have appeared to be more grouchy towards each other. I'll be in the other room and suddenly hear terrible squeaky noises, but not like normal squeaks along with jumping and chasing noises. I know the kack sound well so its not just that. Ive examined all the chins and there doesnt appear to be any missing fur chunks, but Daisy's whiskers in particular have been chewed down to almost nothing. Peach's whiskers are also short. However Zelda's are as long as can be! I'm just wondering if maybe it is time to give Zelda her own cage. I feel bad for Daisy because when I run in the room during the terrible noises, shes usually sitting in a corner. I just dont want Zelda to become too much of a bully to the point where someone gets hurt or doesn't get enough food or anything like that. They all snuggle together during the day, but seem grumpy towards each other the rest of the time. What should I do?

It's so sad to have to split them up, but if you have to, you have to. I would first trim the bully's whiskers shorter than the other 2 to make her an equal again and see if that helps

I agree you might have to separate the bully from the rest. Definitely trim the bully's whiskers much shorter than the rest. It is surprising how well this works - not always but a lot of the time

Yep, that's the same thing I was gonna say. Be careful, this fighting can lead to death. I have two singletons that are very happy as long as they can reach through the floor/ceiling or walls and touch/sniff another chin. They squeal and run but are depressed if they can't do at least this much contact

Thank you for all the advice everyone. I will definitely try trimming Zelda's whiskers shorter than everyone else's to see if it helps...otherwise it looks like she will be flying solo!

Also make sure you have 3 of everything in the cage like 3 water bottles, 3 food dishes so there is always something available to another chinnie in hopes it prevents separation.

Also make sure you have 3 of everything in the cage like 3 water bottles, 3 food dishes so there is always something available to another chinnie in hopes it prevents separation.

Great idea! I never thought of that. Will definitely give this strategy a try in addition to whisker trimming. Its just so weird because they snuggle during sleeping, but get grumpy towards one another when awake. Makes me so uneasy, don't want anyone getting hurt. I really hope things work out, but if not, I have a spare cage waiting to be occupied! Zelda might have her own castle soon lol

Latest posts

Back