Minimum Wheel Size?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshB.

Hi, I am new here and am getting a couple chins hopefully this week! I did have a question about wheels though. The doors on my cage are about 10" by 9", making it impossible to fit a large wheel through. It would also be extremely hard to take apart the cage to fit a wheel into. What is the minimum size wheel that would be possible for a chinchilla? Or does anyone have any suggestions of what to do? Thanks for any help.

-Josh

If I remember right I think 15 inches is the smallest. It needs to be pretty big to not hurt their back. I wonder how big a flying saucer wheel is from quality cage you might be able to fit that through.
What kind of cage do you have? Mine are all wire and the top connects with J clips and to put in a big wood house I had to snip all the clips open the top and reclip them. Wasn't too hard.

Last edited:
I think you might be able to get the saucer in there. I cant get a Chinspin in my door but I got the saucer in, no problem.

A 15" is the smallest size you should consider for a wheel, so that won't work for you. Not sure if the saucer would be able to get through the door.

You can always buy playpens and do playtime a lot. Chins don't need a wheel, it is just fun for them to have. Maybe get the measurements of the saucer and see if it will fit diagonally through your door?

Yes I have also heard that 15ince is the best, that way they won't hurt themself. WHen they use the wheel, if I remember correctly it has to do with their backs arching.

But I'm not a pro, so go with what they say. And if any breeders that have been in the business for a long time say that is wrong, please correct me, so that way I learn more too. THanks.

But when I called quality cage that is what they told me.
Oh but that chin spin is a good one.

Jean

Back