Might get another chin.....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickster

Alright so I was at the pet store, and I saw these two chins just laying on their side in a tiny aquarium with nothing but a plastic house and those awful comfort wheels. I know I shouldn't buy from stores but I felt so bad. But if I did get another chin, could I introduce it to my 2 females that are bonded?? I don't know how long they were bonded but I could find out.

In my experience it is not a good idea to introduce a new chin to an already bonded pair. You can cause the bonded pair to fight, ending up with 3 single chins, or the pair could team up on the newbie. Trios in my experience and in many others do not work out well. I wouldn't do it.

I bought my chin from a pet store too and I do not regret it at all..he is so friendly loves being held and carried around :) I just think like that that I rescued him from a place that is dangerous too him :)

Introducing a third to an already bonded pair is kinda risky as Stackie has said. If you were to do something like that, the best way is if they were all kits or much younger chins.

i dont see getting a chin from a pet store as a rescue. they make the money they want and it makes room for another poor animal. if you want a trio i would advise getting 2 young kits to intro to your female. that always seems to work out the best. introing 3 adult chins is always more difficult.

What if I were to get a baby and introduce it (very slowly and carefully) to my bonded pair??

Last edited:
You could try, but there is always the chance you will end up with three chins in three separate cages. It sounds more like you just want another chin than that you are looking to 'rescue' the two from the pet store. There's nothing wrong, of course, with wanting to have more chins, just as long as you are prepared to deal with them all individually should the need arise. Also always good to make sure you have a vet fund going so that you can deal with any health concerns, the likelihood of which will increase as you increase the number of chins that you have.

I don't like intro-ing a younger chin to an adult. I know people say that's the way to go...and in the beginning, they usually do get along fine. However when the "baby" gets to be a teenager and start getting testy & full of attitude, they usually start to cause problems by trying their luck at being the dominant one. Which usually ends up in a fight. I've honestly had more luck with pairs staying together when they were intro'ed as adults.

I still wouldn't introduce a new chin to an already bonded pair, regardless of age.

i dont see getting a chin from a pet store as a rescue. they make the money they want and it makes room for another poor animal. if you want a trio i would advise getting 2 young kits to intro to your female. that always seems to work out the best. introing 3 adult chins is always more difficult.
Yeah what they said, i mean you buy their animal and you're technically supporting the company and saying you like them having chinchillas, and then the whole new one introduced to a pair doesn't always if usually doesn't work.

If anything it is sad but there are a lot of pet stores i know of 5 within a 10 mile radius that all have them with those plastic houses....basically maybe think of your two chins if you think itd be fair if it tears them apart or gets one injured.
Or it may work out and youll have a trio that all love eachother :)

Latest posts

Back