Might get a new chin.. questions!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdiz123

Hi everyone.
I just got my chinchilla Freddie around a month and a half ago.
Everything is going great, I love him so much and he seems happy but I can imagine him getting very lonely. I was thinking about getting him another male chinchilla so he can have a friend( they would both be males). The cage is definitely large enough for 2. I know I will have to slowly introduce them.

If i do decide to get another one, what should I expect out of two males meeting each other? Freddie is from a breeder and he was always living with other chins, he's very tame.

Thanks!

It's usually a toss-up. Some two will love each other immediately and some two may fight to the point of harming or killing the other chin. Many chins can be happily paired though and it's great to see them interact in pairs.

There are several methods to introduction but keep in mind that there is a CHANCE they may never get along. The two things I have used with success are playtime with a large dust bath to share, or weather permitting (not blazing hot) taking them on a car drive inside the same carrier, you may need two people for that though.

If you bought him from a breeder I'd get the second one from them too, they can also give you tips and tricks for introduction. Don't forget a quarantine cage, get one that is easy to store, and that way if they fight down the line you'll always have a back up cage.

It's usually a toss-up. Some two will love each other immediately and some two may fight to the point of harming or killing the other chin. Many chins can be happily paired though and it's great to see them interact in pairs.

There are several methods to introduction but keep in mind that there is a CHANCE they may never get along. The two things I have used with success are playtime with a large dust bath to share, or weather permitting (not blazing hot) taking them on a car drive inside the same carrier, you may need two people for that though.

TillyChin...why a care ride? What is it about a car ride that is helpful?

TillyChin...why a care ride? What is it about a car ride that is helpful?

I learned this method when I had guinea pigs. A car ride in the same carrier is a new situation with new sights and smells. In the confined space, they'll usually huddle together and that can help two bond. Definitely keep an eye on them though.

Latest posts

Back