Might be getting new chin!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

So I may be getting a new chinnie to hopefully bond with my pink white male! I found a beautiful violet male on craigslist that I really want, but I am nervous about fighting. I have my CN cage split in half and I have a castrated male/ femal pair on the bottom and my male on the top. If I bond the males and keep them on the top half, will they fight when the female on the bottom half of the cage goes into heat?

I'm no expert by any means when it comes to multiple chins as I only have one, but my thought is that yes, two males would most likely fight since they are in such close proximity to the female. If they had their own cage in a different room, that should not be an issue. But please wait for someone more experienced to deny or confirm this.

But please remember if you are bringing in a new chin that you must keep the new chin quarantined for 30 days before introducing him/caging him with your other male.

Having 2 males together can be tricky if they are adults especially. You'd have a better chance pairing 2 young males vs 2 older males. There is a slight chance that it may work if intros are done slowly and in a neutral cage but just please be prepared that there is also a good chance it won't work out.

Thanks for the answers! Both males are around 2 years old and the male I currently have is not aggressive at all. Should I even bother attempting to add another male with him or is it too likely that it will end in fights?

Anytime you introduce ANY chins there is always a chance that they will fight. If you do not want to purchase another cage, just in case, I would not get another chin. Your chin has been alone for this long, what makes you think he wants a buddy now?

If you are prepared to handle an additional seperate cage if it doesn't work then I'd say go for it. If you are adamant about them being housed together then I wouldn't risk it. It is a gamble.

I have an extra cage from a while back when I only had one cage so I think I'm good with cages! I think he wants a friend because I always take my male in the other cage and put him up to my pink white chin and he always true to groom him and he juts seems so happy and I think he should have a friend (if it works out) for when I am too busy doing school wok to play with them! I think I may go for it, but I'm going to further discuss it with my family to see what their final opinions are!

YOUR chin may be nice as pie. The problem is you have no idea what the new guy is like. Even 2 very sweet people can hate each other and not get along LOL. Same with chins. Best of luck to ya!

Last edited:
That's is very true! Lolol I'll let you all know if I end up getting him, and if I do, there will be pictures to come!!

Wish me luck- picking him up tomorrow :) I got his cage ready and everything! I'll be sure to post pictures of him!

Back