Methods for keeping chins cool during heat wave?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grubyq

I live in Alaska, and so I've never really worried about my Chin, Carlos, overheating. I of course keep him out of direct sunlight, in case of an incredibly sunny day, and try to keep my windows open during the summer, but it's never been a problem.
However, I recently moved to a slightly warmer part of the state, and we're having an unseasonable heat wave. My room is usually warmer than the rest of the house, because I have the water heater in my closet, but it is now BOILING in here. It's about 75/80 degrees outside, and probably closer to 85 inside. Because this heat is pretty rare in Alaska, I don't own air conditioning or even a fan. My window is WIDE OPEN but it's not even catching a breeze, and poor Carlos seems to be feeling it. I let him out to play, but he's just incredibly lethargic, and I don't blame him!
My question is, how hot is too hot for a chinchilla? I've read online to not let them get too hot, but I've never seen anywhere an actual temperature limit. I'm happy to go buy a fan (for me and him both!) but I'm worried that if I just leave it facing his cage during the day it might throw up dust that could be irritating. Are fans a yes or a no-no? Are there other methods I can use to cool him off? I've thought of putting him out in another room which isn't so hot, but my roommate is pretty anti-chinchilla, and I don't think she would like that. I'm really worried about his health if the whole summer ends up being like this.

75F is about as hot as it would get and then for as short a period as possible you room temp is way too high and he risks heat stroke and death. A fan is useless for a chin. They don't sweat so it does nothing to cool them off. Freeze some water bottles and wrap them in fleece and place them in his cage. Move him to a cooler room. Buy a small window AC for times like this. Hope it isn't too late.

You also my want to get him a granite or marble tile to lay on, and move him to another room, and tell your roommate that it is temporary and to get over it. Better an angry roommate than a dead chin!

Last edited:
Another thing to mention is don't let him out to play when it's hot! Activity increases body temp. As already mentioned a fan isn't going to help, it just moves air around. I live in Northern Alberta, so I understand that hot temps do happen, and that's why I have a small window AC. It's about $100 (sometime cheaper if you find one on sale) to buy which is cheaper then having to take the chin to the vet for heat stroke, or emotionally cheaper then having your chin die. You don't have to have it on all the time, just on hot days so it's not that bad on electricity. It's not just the temp you have to worry about either, the humidity plays a factor too, and an ac will help there too. The ideal temp for chins is around 68F, give or take a few degrees depending on humidity which ideally should be not more then 60%. In a pinch you can use the frozen bottles idea mentioned, or put ice in a metal pot with a lid, but you do need a ac with chins, just part of chin ownership. The tiles are only really good if the room temp isn't that bad, they seem best for post playtime cooling not primary hot day cooling, so as said tiles and cooler room.

Back