Metacam Dosage quick!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustbunnies

Mama of Pepper and Bunny
My vet said to give her 1 c.c. if Matecam (.5mg/mL suspension) and I gave it to her. Then someone said their dosage is .1cc!

Is this an Overdose! Help!

Called vet...he said it is fine and correct...the solution is more dilute than other available ones!

Had to ask though! Phew!

if you have the small little syringe that is actually 1.0 cc than you only give the chin .10, which is 1/10th of the syringe. Its literally like a few drops that they get, but they are so little!
My chin gets .20 of metacam once a day and other meds twice a day. but he weights 650g
just try to remember to give it to your chin the same time every day.

as a side note: i get an actual bottle of metacam that is also used for dogs, that is why my dosage is .10 and not 1.0
just make sure they diluted the originaly bottle of the .5ml suspension because if you gave a whole syringe that is actually 10 doses. most vets dont dilute it unless they are flavoring it. they should have showed you at the dr office how much to give and how to administer it.

He gave me the bottle used for dogs. Not diluted. He said it is a more diluted version but it is sealed in a box for dogs. I didn't use the syringe in the box....I used another he gave me....measuring out 1 cc. I wasn't at the vet....my Fiancee picked up these meds.

I called the vet before and he said it was okay. She has had 1 c.c. of .5mg/mL solution. He said that is even half of what she could have.

Is this wrong? Has she been over dosed? She has had .5mg (1 mL) of Metacam....he said the dosage is 1 or 2 mg per Kg of weight. She weighs a little over 400g. So she can have .5 to 1 mg of meds (1-2mL)

Help me out everyone. I am not at home now. Is my baby overdosed?

She should be fine, but you might want to stick with .1 mL of the Metacam. With a 900 gm chin, I gave her .1 mL of the Metacam after a spay and it was enough to keep her comfortable. You're goal is to relieve pain, take the edge off, not make her fall over drugged.

I answered on your other thread too, before I saw this one.

I wish I was home...can't get home until 2pm or so. Seriously 10 x the dosage! It is the .5mg/mL solution, not the 1.5mg/mL solution

when i get home later i will check the dosage and take a pic of the syringe i use, i also dont use the one that came with the box. I actually cut the top of the bottle pour it into another bottle and inject the syringe i have into that & drawl out the meds. my vet said the max dose daily for a chin richies size (650), is .20 which again is 2/10ths of the 1.0 cc/ml syringe i am using. it is very confusing with the 1.0 & .10 dosage. i am sure she will be fine, maybe you want to provide her with some extra water to flush and maybe even some critical if you have some on hand or perhaps handfeed her to get some food in her to absorb the meds. I am sure it is not necessary but that is what i personally would do.

Well...I got home and she is fine. She looked a bit groggy but I took her out to play and she livened up. She wanted to hide some because she is sleepy but she hopped around. I looked up the metacam ...it is supposed to be (for dogs) .1mg (or.2mg on day 1) per Kilogram. She weighs less than half of that, so she can have .05mg to .1mg of the medicines active ingredient. So, with my bottle tht contains .5mg of meds in every mL, she is supposed to have .1 to .2 cc. So the overdose was minimum 5 times more than she should have and 10 times more than she needed. The vet said it was 1mg/kg....

I knew my vet wasn't a good chin vet....but that info is not correct even for dogs....so that is dead wrong. He is going to get a piece of my mind. It is like taking 10 advil! You can take 2 (3+ if you are big or really hurting) but you could take 1 for something small....10 can kill you.

I figured she would be stoned or really nauseous, not high. But she is okay.

That vet has made a grave error. That wasn't misinformed, treating a chinchilla like a dog crap....That was could have killed even a dog because you have the decimal in the wrong place in your head and on paper crap. Do the math, Dr. Dumby

Let's get Bunny through this and we try yet another vet if she needs to go back.

I am emailing the vet because I don't think I could talk to him.

Thanks for your help.

? I don't think that would be a good idea. She doesn't need to end up with stasis. She has nibbled a little today and by nighttime the drugs won't be so fresh that that is likely a problem. Besides....if chins can't throw up....how can they aspirate. You withhold food before anesthesia so that the person/animal does not throw up while knocked out and choke (aspirate) their own puke.

Are there other reasons?

She isn't stoned to the point of drooling (though I have seen dogs do that on very strong pain meds). So I think we are alright there. I will of course watch her for any drooling or odd behaviors.

? I don't think that would be a good idea. She doesn't need to end up with stasis. She has nibbled a little today and by nighttime the drugs won't be so fresh that that is likely a problem. Besides....if chins can't throw up....how can they aspirate. You withhold food before anesthesia so that the person/animal does not throw up while knocked out and choke (aspirate) their own puke.

Are there other reasons?

She isn't stoned to the point of drooling (though I have seen dogs do that on very strong pain meds). So I think we are alright there. I will of course watch her for any drooling or odd behaviors.

I was just wondering :)
I couldn't eat after my wisdom teeth were pulled so I drew that conclusion.
(also I was laughing when I saw winnie the pooh on TV so ... seriously stoned)

Heck...I literally was unable to eat after having a wisdom tooth pulled a couple weeks ago (locals only, not put under). Lost my appetite after the numbness wore off....was nauseous earlier in that week...but super nauseous after that. Lost 6lbs in 5 days and couldn't eat for almost a week. Doctor's couldn't solve it. Don't know what happened but I am so glad it is over. Was very hard to take care of my new chins, too! My fiancee had to do it all. I even took them to the vet to be tested for giardia and parasites because I was so sick.

I think anesthesia is the main worry...it is likely to make you throw up. Which is bad for wisdom teeth holes as you will dislodge the clots! I still have two more wisdom teeth left!

Chins do not have to be fasted. They need to have food available at all times, especially after undergoing any type of anesthesia. They are hind gut fermentors and therefore need to keep food in their system. I might have missed it but why is your chin on metacam?

I'm not sure but I should consider taking away her food for tonight.
Just like after anesthesia.
I could be wrong though

It is VERY dangerous to offer advice when you are guessing. Always a better idea to say nothing than to give advice that could end up killing an animal.

My vet still says he is right about the dosage. He says rodents need a lot more than dogs. He referred me to chinchilla-unlimited.com/uk as the reference (but it is another forum like this one). I can understand a difference....but a 1lb dog gets 0.1cc and a 1lb chinchilla gets 1cc? I still think he is nuts...but I have to make sure.

If anyone can find some articles or something to help me determine this, I would be appreciative.

Several people have said 0.1cc but of the different concentrations.

Bunny was grinding her teeth again today. I want to make absolutely sure she is getting the correct dose.

i was told that .20 is the max dosage for a chin richies size(655g) and i am using the 1.5 ml suspension. the original script was to give him .10 cc 2 x per day but since he is now on another type of pain meds, I give him the .20 1 x a day between the other doses.

Latest posts

Back