Menopause

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't go through menopause, but most females will eventually stop going into heat as they age. Usually this does not stop until they have no more oocytes in their ovaries. For chinchillas, this can happen as early as 8 years or as late as 18 years. It all depends on the individual chinchilla.

So if they stop estrus and their ovaries stop releasing eggs...isn't that menopause? Or do they still have the same hormones being released as they did before? I am...confused. Or is menopause just a term for humans?

Christina--I don't think there's really a way to tell how old a chinchilla is other than if it's a baby or an adult. There are some signs when they are in heat that may be noticeable, but I don't know them. Hopefully someone else can tell you.

Menopause is a term used to describe the permanent cessation of the primary functions of the human ovaries

Yes, "menopause" is a term used for humans. I wouldn't say a chinchilla that stops estrus goes through menopause. They don't have "symptoms" of menopause like hot flashes and they're not human.

You cannot tell a chinchilla's age unless you have their DOB directly from the breeder.

Yes, "menopause" is a term used for humans. I wouldn't say a chinchilla that stops estrus goes through menopause. They don't have "symptoms" of menopause like hot flashes and they're not human.

You cannot tell a chinchilla's age unless you have their DOB directly from the breeder.

I guess, that's kinda cool, when I think about animals and stuff like that I don't really think about when they stop having babies, except for cows, we have lots of cows.

And darn....

Oh, ok. Thank you, Tabitha. When I think of menopause I think of ovaries not producing hormones and not releasing eggs, so I assumed it was an inclusive term but obviously I was wrong!

Sorry for giving you a wrong answer, Christina!! I feel like a tool now, ha

You'll know your chinchilla is in menopause when:

• she sells your home heating system off at a yard sale because you'll no longer be needing it,

• she starts writing post-it notes with your name on it so she remembers who you are,

• you see her putting piles of snow on her ledge to cool off,

• she becomes completely irrational about her playtime schedule,

• she popcorns in her sleep,

• you need the jaws of life to get her out of her cage because she's gained so much weight,

• she falls asleep in the middle of playtime,

• your family and friends refer to her as psycho chin.

ANything that can mediacally happen to ahuman can happen to an animal as all of our bodies have the same functions, It may have different terms. But a female will at some point no longer have the ability to produce babies

You're such a HOOT, Annie. Thanks for the chuckle. HE HE!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

• she sells your home heating system off at a yard sale because you'll no longer be needing it,

• she starts writing post-it notes with your name on it so she remembers who you are,

• you need the jaws of life to get her out of her cage because she's gained so much weight,

:rofl::rofl:

So glad I wasn't drinking when I read this..

Do chins get it, or something similar where they are no longer in heat, and can't get pregnant?

It just popped in my head.
There is no definitive age that they can no longer get pregnant. I've heard of chins still breeding at over 20 years of age. Accordingly, it is never safe to assume that a female can no longer get pregnant because of age. The only safe way to house a mixed sex pair without possibility of pregnancy is if the male is neutered or the female is spayed.

That is way too cute. :D

Back