MediCal Gastro for Xander

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbertaGirl

Expert Wheel Scrubber
As some of you may know, Xander has an ongoing issue of super stinky loose green poops no matter what I feed him. He's been tested for everything and comes back as perfectly healthy. The only other thing the vet can think of is that maybe he just has a really sensitive tummy. I've tried many of the foods on the "approved" list and none of them seem to sit right with him. The vet suggested I could try MediCal Gastro formula to see if maybe that would help settle things down. Has anyone ever given this to their hedgehog? Any feedback would be welcome.

I have not, but I have used other foods by Medical with good success. Let me know how it goes as Roxy is very much the same, super sensitive tummy. I have had some success with Limted Ingredient Diets (Natural Balance) but you've probably already tried that. Poor Xander, hope he feels better soon!

Many of the good quality food, especially Wellness, are too strong/rich for some hedgehogs so sometimes going to a lesser quality food works.

Have you tried Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet with duck and pea? Kismet has the same issues as Xander and that's the only food that doesn't mess with her.

I tried that one and he won't eat it... probably because it contains the dreaded vegetables! I tried one last food - Blue Buffalo Turkey & Chicken - and so far he seems to be doing OK on it. He's a lot less stinky, and the overall quantity of poop seems to have decreased as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Have you tried supplementing him with acidolphilus daily to see if it helps any?

Cooper has always had really strong smelling stools. When he had to go on the soft food only diet, his stools continued to smell bad but they also got very soft. I started adding a small amount of acidolphilus daily to his food. His odor went down and his stool firmed up. It took a while for it to have any effect, but for him it has helped so far.

Yes, we tried acidophilus and Benebac and neither seemed to help. He's the best he's ever been on the Blue Buffalo, so I'm going to hope that it keeps working.

Hmm, maybe I'll try the Blue Buffalo. What shape is it? Roxy is super picky about shape too. I swear she acts like a princess because we have no other females and she needs to reinforce her position :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back