Meal Time

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy oxbow essentials chinchilla food. I originally bought the 5lb. bag from petsmart for like $18 but then I found a website called wag.com that sells a 10lb. bag for around the same price, and from what I hear it is a pretty high quality brand of pellet :)

After doing quite a bit of research regarding the different feed options for chins, comparing the different brands/formulas and their ingredients, nutritional analysis, etc. I ended up deciding on Purina Rabbit Chow Show. In general I don't really advocate using a feed formulated for a different species when it comes to most animals but I feel quite comfortable that the PRCS is actually appropriate for chins, more so than many of the commercial "chinchilla pellets/foods" on the market in fact. I'm able to get it fresh and very affordably at my local feed store also. I also have access to Mazuri chinchilla pellets there but tbh I've never been a huge Mazuri fan in regards to other critters I keep/have kept in the past. I just adopted 3 new girls about a month ago who'd been on Mazuri and have successfully transitioned them to the PRCS also and very quickly noticed an improvement in the color, consistency, and size of their stools.

2424129.jpg

This was recomennded to me many years ago by a breeder i was talking with. My chins dont even wanna touch anything else now, even the store foods with 'treats' in them. All 5 love the stuff.

I've always fed Mazuri to other species I've had, rabbits, tortoise etc. and am switching Sydney to Mazuri next week once her existing food is almost gone

I feed Oxbow Essentials for my chin as well, bought from Wag.com. A 10 pound bag lasts my single chin for months, though you'll have to be careful if you get larger quantities of it because it can start going stale towards the end if you don't store in properly in an air tight container/bag.

Latest posts

Back