MAZURI??? I think he dislikes it haha

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LannyCoop

Hello all, Okay so I have been trying to get Kiefer on Mazuri for a while now, as when I first got in 4 months ago he was on charlie chinchilla. I thought he was doing well on it. But he actually wasn't eating it, just the charlie mixed. So, I have him just the Mazuri, and he wont eat it! Will it just take time? or Should I try the purina rabbit food? any advice would be great.

Also advice on how to get him on a water bottle, he is still using the bowl, I am trying putting a raisin in the tip of the bottle to get him to see its water. but any help on that too would be great. thanks so much!

Ihave no idea on the food account. It may just take time for him to get used to it.

As for the waterbottle you could try making a game out of it. Make your focus is the water bottle, get his attention with the raisin first and then while he is at water bottle use the raisin to bring his attention to the spout. He should figure it out.

Have you taken the bowl out of the cage? If you haven't you may want to just over night. Your chin will be fine with no water for the 8 hours you are asleep. When you wake up check if he has drank anything. You could put the empty water bowl under the spout so he gets the idea that water is in that general area. If he hasn't had anything to drink put the dish back in.

Just some options. Given time I'm sure he will figure it all out.

For the Mazuri, you can put an amount of pellets in a sealed (sp?) bag with rose hips or rose petals. The pellets will take the smell and he might eat it. I didn't have that problem at all with Mazuri, mine jumped on it the second it was in their bowl!

I suppose it would be like taking chocolate away (Charlie Chinchilla, unhealthy) from a child and giving them spinach (Mazuri, healthy without all the crap in it...banana chips etc.) instead - Most kids would have the same reaction.

Macy was the very same as your little chin. He will get used to it..Should do anyway :) You cannot go wrong with nice green timothy hay and fresh pellets and water. Don't add anything else.

Have you taken the bowl out of the cage? If you haven't you may want to just over night. Your chin will be fine with no water for the 8 hours you are asleep. When you wake up check if he has drank anything. You could put the empty water bowl under the spout so he gets the idea that water is in that general area. If he hasn't had anything to drink put the dish back in.

I think that is a GREAT idea!

the water idea is really good! i will try taking it out tonight and see if he gets it haha, i put a raisin on the end, and he took it and ran off haha, but i will keep trying and get him on this bottle :)

as for the food, i will also keep trying haha, he will be healthy eating soon enough :)
thanks so much!

I had 2 chins come to me that were on Charlie Chin and I just did a switch to Mazuri and had no problems. Another one was just brought to me with no food and I have no idea what she was on. They all ate it and tons of hay! I think one of my chins had never been given hay at her previous home.

For the water bottle part i think it's a great idea to take the bowl out over night, but you can also try to put alittle apple or cranberry juice in the water, no more than 50/50 mix, and they like that, so that can get him/her to start drinking out of the water bottle, then you can stop putting in the juice once he/she gets used to it.

Good luck,
Jean

Latest posts

Back