matted hair

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleLostLena

Hey guys I noticed this morning my chin has a slight matted chest you wouldnt notice it unless you were looking for it
I was petting him and his hair there felt kinda hard
We didnt have his spinning saucer in because we had to buy a new one as they broke the other one
Could it be stress from not using it?
Also there was a fight last night between them, so im keeping close eye on them now
They have just had their Sand bath and water and food now
I also put the saucer in there for them to exercise
I read that they can have hair like that due to mites, stress, dehydration and other things
Its not mites cause they havent gone anywhere
The internet worries me with the mad things people put up
Can someone help me with this please?
Im a worrybox and im getting worried

Sounds like a case of poor grooming on his part. You can carefully cut it out or comb it out. Could be from a fight as well. Something you didn't see or recognize some time back.

Keep an eye out for pulled fur around the cage and bite marks. Anything that serious is reason to separate them as soon as possible. Have a back up cage. Sounds like you'll be needing it if they are fighting now.

Please explain this sentence:
Quote: They have just had their Sand bath and water and food now

I hope your keeping water and food in the cage at all times. As much as they can consume.

What i meant was, I just gave them fresh food and water and their daily sandbath, it was the morning when I posted it :)
And yes they always have water and food ALWAYS, sorry if it seemed the wrong meaning, as ive said it was early so everything was newly put it again :)
As for the hair being matted its more like it got a little wet, I have him separated into his own cage now and he seems happy running on his saucer
Im gonna allow him time to feel himself again and then see where it goes
My friends a vet and she had a look at him today, said he was stressed due to the slight fighting and to keep them sepetated, for the time being :)

Back