matted hair patch

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmitchell

So I'm not sure if this has been covered before, probably has, but our chin has a little patch of what looks to be slipped hear but it seems as if it is almost knotted. Shes had a few in the past that we could just softly pull loose but this patch won't. Any suggestions to get this loose and out and back to her pretty grey coat.

Thanks!

Try pulling it gently. If that doesn't work, just cut it as close from the base of the matt as possible.

Absolutely DO NOT go cutting at it. It is way too easy to nick or cut their skin. If you can get a good hold on it, just give it a sharp tug. He will slip it. He will complain a bit but it doesn't really hurt them. The patch will grow back in.

Ditto obcsed! Scissors and chins are a bad mix. Just tug it out. It won't hurt even if he complains. The longer you let it go the larger the mat will get.

Scissors and any animal are bad. All is takes is one quick movement and SNIP you have just lacerated your pet! I have seen too many over the years :/

Yep, just had a dog come in to the clinic yesterday with a huge chunk of skin missing behind it's ear because the owner tried to cut out a mat. Instead of paying a groomer to do it, she ended up paying close to $400 in vet bills for sedation, suturing up the wound & medications. Chins have extremely thin skin- no way I would cut a mat out. Mats also pull up the skin when you tug on them, so you could unknowingly be cutting skin when you think it's the base of the mat.

Thanks, I guess we will just have to be careful pull it out. I wasn't sure if there was anything, besides a dust bath, that would help to untangle it slightly and maybe make it easier to pull out.

They pull out easier than most people think. And the animal is better off once it is gone.

I would also just pull it out quickly so it fur slips, but check under and around the mat first to make sure there isn't a scab or any seeping causing the mat.

I ease it out gently. If you have someone else who can hold the chin for you even better. I work my way around the matted hair until I finally get to the centre. My chinchilla doesn't get matted hair often but she definitely feels uncomfortable when she has it!

Back