Mating Sounds

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pants567

So this past weekend I didn't really get to take FenFen out to play for his little 10 minute sessions since I had a very busy weekend. I knew that I had to clean his cage today and so I was really just waiting until I finished taking a nap. I was going to wait until my boyfriend got home so that he could play with FenFen while I cleaned the cage.
Before I could get to that point, I woke up from my nap and FenFen (usually a very very quiet chin) made these strange noises at me. He sometimes makes little contact noises when I come and sit with him, so I make them back as best as I can so he doesn't feel alone. Well these noises were loud and nothing like that. It wasn't barking or kecking so I went on that sound resources site and found out that they were mating calls. He is the only chin in the house, I was the only one home and he was staring straight at me as he made them. Does anyone know what's up with that? Is he just going through puberty and so he's making those noises? I assumed they only made them when a mate was around unless he thinks I'm a mate? :hmm: Though obviously I'm not a chin but I've heard of owls and other animals becoming so attached to humans that they try to be their mates.
Anyway, I cleaned up his cage and talked to him for a little bit but he hasn't made the noises again. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Back