Maternity Safe Cage Sizing & Questions :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudmom25

I am about to get a kit safe cage for my pregnant chin and wanted to know what would be an appropriate size. Pearl has a cagemate so I want to make sure that the cage would be big enough for two females and kit(s).

I currently have three options that I am considering.

1. Superpet My First Home Extra Large 18"L x 40.5"W x 20.5"H. This would need to be covered in hardware cloth. This cage is here already.

2. Ferret Nation that they are already in. Again, this would need to be covered in hardware cloth and shelving would need to be removed. What all can I keep in there for them? Their hidey house and food? I have read some say to add a bottle of 1/2 water, 1/2 apple juice for milk production. What is the consensus on this...especially when there is a cagemate?

3. Order a maternity cage from Sunny Meadows. 24"L x 24"W x 18"H. This will run appx. $50.

Thanks!

I don't use a juice mixture and have had no problems. As far as the cage goes you want one level. If you are going to be reusing the cage again for maternity, I would buy the one you don't have to wrap in wire. Petsmart has a one level cage for $40 that is perfect for maternity. Is there any particular reason for leaving the cagemate in? I would be concerned the mother may become defensive but I am sure plenty of people would say they have no problems in colonies - I will leave that for others to give their experiences to as I don't colony breed.

You mentioned that Petsmart has a one level cage that would work...is that the rat cage? If not, could you let me know which one you are referring to. Thanks!

I don't use a juice mixture and have had no problems. As far as the cage goes you want one level. If you are going to be reusing the cage again for maternity, I would buy the one you don't have to wrap in wire. Petsmart has a one level cage for $40 that is perfect for maternity. Is there any particular reason for leaving the cagemate in? I would be concerned the mother may become defensive but I am sure plenty of people would say they have no problems in colonies - I will leave that for others to give their experiences to as I don't colony breed.

Back