Mastasis?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Baytril and metacam, and sulfa (TMZ) and am thinking about just giving her the baytril. I am not happy with her decision, and the wound looks worse now. I will try another vet, but I don't think her chances are good. Did you ever find out what the cause was? Did you get a necropsy done?
No i never had the necropsy done. They said it just happens sometimes (mastitis) I believe it happens in all nursing species (not positive on that but for sure it happens with some) Mastitis is basically a infected mammory gland. I you don't fix it quick enough it goes into their blood stream (septic) and can kill them. My girl died from shock. She peed on herself in the night and got cold and shocky. I was pissed cause i has asked the vet if she needed any special accomidations and she said no put her in her hut in her cage and leave her alone. Had I put her on a towel on a heating pad I bet she would still be here. I was devastated.
I would definately be using the baytril and the metacam. Maybe get some flaygl too. Take the babies off of her and hand feed cause she probably isn't producing milk in that teat anymore and it is very painful for her. I hope it works out for you.

Also I don't know for sure how bad your is but mine their was nothing for them to nurse. I was told to DEFINATELY hand feed the babies. Not only is it painful for mom but babies aren't getting what they need mom. Also I don't know how safe it would be for babies to be drinking infected milk??? I have not ever used tmz so i'm not familiar with it but definately baytril. Good luck and let us know what the vet says. I would definately have them try to aspirate it tho. Also u shouldn't have to wait for labs to get meds. That is nuts!!! I will say a little prayer for her. Sending chinny hugs your way.

Warm wet tea bags can help too. kits can scratch mom causeing a cut I would pull the kit across sandpaper gently by the tail and file the nails down. It doesn't need it all the time but once in a while they are a bit rough on mom. Matitis isn't in the milk it is in the skin, the milk isn't infected. babies need to nurse like HM said and release the pressure, it is very painful to have overfull milk bags without an infection making the skin more sensitive, babies need to nurse and keep milk flowing or the mastitis can get worse

Warm wet tea bags can help too. kits can scratch mom causeing a cut I would pull the kit across sandpaper gently by the tail and file the nails down. It doesn't need it all the time but once in a while they are a bit rough on mom. Matitis isn't in the milk it is in the skin, the milk isn't infected. babies need to nurse like HM said and release the pressure, it is very painful to have overfull milk bags without an infection making the skin more sensitive, babies need to nurse and keep milk flowing or the mastitis can get worse
Well i don't know if it is in the milk if it can get into the blood stream then why not the milk? All i know is whay my vet said and she said mom and kits would be better off with them being weaned. Also the vet should've tried to aspirate it and relieve the pressure. If they did and couldn't then how could a baby?

Just going on what knowledge has been passed on over the years by other breeders who have dealt with this. Vets are important but there is so much to know about each animal, the cannot possibly alwas be right. And I have seen some vets kill chinchillas with the cure..... a veterinary degree does not mean a good vet...

No I agree with that. My vet has went to school (again or should I say more?) to learn "specifally" more about chins cause the demand is sooo high and she wants to stay on top of new technoligy.
She can do as she chooses, the op asked for help from anyone who had gone through this and I offered my 2 cents. What she does with it is up to her

I am sooo glad you are getting a second opinion. I work for a vet (we do horses) and respect everything he does (I've got some chem/anatomy/physio training). But, I've heard things of other vets that scares me - even some that I wouldn't have suspected it of.

I'll keep your girl in my thoughts.

PS
TMZ is one of the two antibiotics we use the most with the horses. Not that that necessarily means anything for chins, just FYI.

How is she? Did you go back to the vet? What did they say/do? Is she alright. Oh i am hoping and praying for her. Get well girl, get well

Update- I brought Oreo to another vet who said she was experienced with chins,but really did not know that much. Luckily I brought this thread with me! She was willing to listen, has seen chins, and I think she will go do some research- she promised she would and I directed her to this site.

She aspirated the main wound for now, as right now there does not seem to be a mass. It seems to only be an infection- no tumor! She said Mastasis is the most likely culpret. She kept her on the TMZ and added some Metacam for now, and if we have to we will use a stronger antibiotic in the future. The baby is gaining weight fine, and this vet also thinks it best to keep her nursing. She is gaining like a little piggy so hopefully we can wean her early.

So far so good- Oreo is acting great, eating, drinking, her poos are fine. The vet did not think she needed Flagly too- but said she would prescribe it if I insinst....should I?

So glad you found a open-minded vet, willing to learn! So often they seem to just group chins with other rodents, and don't want to take the time to learn the differences, and in fact, make fatal mistakes causing heartbreak and unnecessary expence!
Sounds like you got a keeper that wants to work with you in this one - wish they were all like that!

Oh Chantel I am so sorry to hear about Oreo. She is my favorite chin of yours. Good luck with the medicine and hopefully she can get better quickly.

Update- I brought Oreo to another vet who said she was experienced with chins,but really did not know that much. Luckily I brought this thread with me! She was willing to listen, has seen chins, and I think she will go do some research- she promised she would and I directed her to this site.

She aspirated the main wound for now, as right now there does not seem to be a mass. It seems to only be an infection- no tumor! She said Mastasis is the most likely culpret. She kept her on the TMZ and added some Metacam for now, and if we have to we will use a stronger antibiotic in the future. The baby is gaining weight fine, and this vet also thinks it best to keep her nursing. She is gaining like a little piggy so hopefully we can wean her early.

So far so good- Oreo is acting great, eating, drinking, her poos are fine. The vet did not think she needed Flagly too- but said she would prescribe it if I insinst....should I?
Hello, if your chin is eating, acting normal, and baby is gaining maybe she was not as bad as mine was. Plus in my case I had 2 babies nursing so maybe that is why she suggested I wean. My "chinny" went from not that bad to worse to dead withing like 3 days so mastitis scares the crap out of me. Maybe you caught it in time or maybe just got lucky cause like I mentioned mine was septic. I think between that and the shock it was to much. If your girl is on the mend then I might let it be, if not then I would find a different vet. If you would like (I know you don't live by me) but I could give you my vets number and you could maybe call her. I think she would be ok with answering questions you might have. Good luck

I know this is a really old post, but wanted to update nonetheless. Oreo is doing great, she looks 100% back to normal with only a little scaring on her breast. Her baby was weaned and is healthy and happy, and Oreo is too. I am so relieved, she is such a sweet, gorgeous girl.

Back