Martin's Folding Mansion??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e.murphy518

I love my chinchildren!
Hi everyone,

So to preface this question, my situation is kind of strange. I am a senior in college and I have 6 chins. I have two full set ups, one at home and one at school. At home I have 3 Ferret Nations and at school I have a Ferret Nation and two quality cages, and then I recently got a new baby and I currently have her in a baby cage.

I would like to get her a bigger one for when she grows up a bit more. I LOVE my ferret nations, and obviously that would be my first choice, but when I graduate (May 2015) and only have one home, I am going to have WAY more than enough cages (at which time I might have some nice cages to get rid of!). For this reason I would prefer not to spend over $100 on this cage.

On Craigslist I found a Martin's Folding Mansion cage for $60. I don't know anything about this brand, but the person said it was in very good condition. Will this be an okay cage for my new girl? Is it easy to assemble? I am planning to make padded fleece wraps for the shelves because I saw that they are wire, but are the bars strong enough to hold her wooden shelves? Are they strong enough to hold a wheel?

Thanks in advance!

you mean this cage?

0036_mansion.png

Ive never used or seen one, but the design looks ok. You would have to take out those shelves and ramps tho. Dont want a chin to catch a leg on those. And with no middle layer (second floor) you would have to make sure there is enough in there that if a chin fell it would not be very far.

It looks like it has a slide out (plastic) tray as well. You would have to make sure no chin can escape down there. I cant rly see if its covered in the pic.

There is very little info on the marshalls website about the cage. It says it can fold flat for storage. That makes we wonder. Never heard of a cage like that. I hope there isnt a way the chin can make it fold up while hes in there.

The bar spacing looks to be 1 inch (could be wrong). Be very careful with young chins and 1 inch spacing. They can fit through that for the first several months after birth. Even when you start to think theres no way, they can surprise you. They can also get stuck in between bars which can cause problems. So make sure you baby chin is an appropriate size before putting him in a cage with 1 inch bars.

check on craigslist, I see some every once in a while, and also watch for big bird cages (like parrot/macaw sizes). Many would work fine with some adjustments (tiling the wire floor or putting a pan in and stuff like that).

Back