Marble or porcelain

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viciousalice

I've been wondering, to those of you who use the marble slabs for a cooling plate, would porcelain work too, since porcelain is so dense? I was thinking about getting a couple slabs for our chins but wanted to know what you all thought.

It seems to me that a lot of people use marble. I don't see why porcelain wouldn't work.

I have used porcelain. The only problems I had were that it is porous, so urine can soak in, and my boy actually broke one somehow.

In my opinion, granite is the best for chillers. I felt granite and marble in the store side-by-side and granite felt cooler. It is also porous, but you can stick any chiller in the dishwasher.

Porcelain and ceramic would be ok but do not feel as cool as the more dense granite and marble.

Thanks a ton, there is a tile store near me that does 1 cubic foot of marble for about 7 bucks, the porcelain was like .59 per cubic foot. I think I'll splurge and do the marble... and maybe check price on granite :)

I hit the jack pot, when I found a local business that basically gave me scrap pieces of granite they couldn't use for anything else. I think I bought 12 pieces for less than $30. Worth looking into!

I bought a box of six 1 foot square granite tiles for around $20 after tax, from home depot, then used a tile cutter tool and cut them all in half... 12 for $20 is a great price...

I just go to the floor store and by the 12x12 tiles and I use the marble. I felt them too and thought the marble was cooler than the granite. LOL They all work and stay really cool imo. Mine were like $1.75 a piece. But I only needed a couple at the time.
I then had someone give me a ton of them and I use them out in the rabbit hutches too.

I bought a box of six 1 foot square granite tiles for around $20 after tax, from home depot, then used a tile cutter tool and cut them all in half... 12 for $20 is a great price...

Maybe it's marble I got? This stuff was super thick, and don't think my cheesy tile cutter can cut it! I'm not very smart about tiles and such, but it was black, glossy, cool and super big! Heavy too! :wacko:

Maybe it's marble I got? This stuff was super thick, and don't think my cheesy tile cutter can cut it! I'm not very smart about tiles and such, but it was black, glossy, cool and super big! Heavy too! :wacko:

Mine sounds the same... It was a black granite tile at Home Depot for 3.17ish per square foot... Wasn't extremely thick, as it is tile, but very glossy and heavy... The tile cutting tool I used looks like a giant version of what doctors use to cut off casts... I only know that because I've broken a dozen bones (I was an active child)... It plugs into an outlet, and to a hose, as water spouts out, while cutting through with what looks like a toothless circular saw blade... I'll show you pictures of my granite pieces, when I get a chance...

granite.jpg

Back